Developer

PixRacer with Ardupilot

This is a discussion to focus the feedback and support of ardupilot on the PixRacer board from AUAV.co.

We believe that all teething problems encountered are now resolved and so we recommend people load Copter-3.3.4 which is available for all multicopters through the Mission Planner's (and other GCS's) Install Firmware screens.  Note that because regular Pixhawks are still on Copter-3.3.3 the install icon may show Copter-3.3.3 but rest assured, Copter-3.3.4 will be installed (you can check the version by looking at the very top of the Mission Planner).

3691274249?profile=original

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Need definitely some tests :). Just to clarify, what to change here:

3702857390?profile=original

to disable internal compass and use only external?

• I have my internal enabled... It fly's fine.  The offsets are bad,  but it functions. 

So, I'd leave your screen exactly how it is, and see if you can get a good calibration. 
              As long as everything is under 400 for your internal one, it should be OK. 
              Actually, I think you should uncheck "automatically learn offsets".  I'm not sure though.. Personally, I've never used that.

If you can't get a good calibration on the internal compass, then simply uncheck "use this compass" under "compass #2".

• I would be careful flying with really high offsets. The newer FW is better at dealing with such things I think but still it can lead to a FC wigging out. I had a fly away lost my quad because of this. This was way back with 3.1 so maybe it's better now... but be careful is all I'm saying. Do you have all arming checks on? No warnings? 

• The WiFi port is effectively SERIAL1/TELEM1, correct? I haven't looked through the MavESP8266 firmware yet but I'm curious if anyone else is successfully using the WiFi with ArduPilot. I know some firmwares were using a 921k baud rate.

I'll try to collect what I can for useful Pixracer+ArduPilot+WiFi info since I'm guessing many will be using the WiFi in the place of a traditional telemetry radio on small frames. It's a nice convenience that appears to work 'out of the box' with PX4/QGC but not quite yet with ArduPilot. I will dig in further and work it out then report back if no one has got it yet.

Cheers

• For now it seems we choose between Pixracer+WiFi using PX4 and QGroundControl, or Pixracer+traditional telemetry using ArduPilot and Mission Planner. I still haven't had time to dig into the MavESP8266 firmware, but I'm not aware of anyone successfully using the WiFi with ArduPilot and Mission Planner. For me I will go back to PX4 because in my limited time I've been more successful with that on Pixracer. If I work out a reliable ArduPilot setup I will offer it to others for reference.

• Developer
        The ESP8266 FW works with ArduPilot on Pixracer. No issues. Just plugged in and go.
        • I must be doing something wrong. The ESP8266 does broadcast the PixRacer network and allows wifi connection giving out DHCP. I can ping it fine but I can't connect with MP or Tower and when I do a port scan I find nothing open. Are there parameters in arducopter that need setting to enable it?
          • Re-wifi.... I did a lot of messing around and I can connect [ with data ] only with the PX4 code I can't connect [with data ] with amp code. It connects... but no data transfer. It's not QGC or APM P2 it's something  with the amp code... as near as I can tell anyway.  And on a side note even when it's working I don't have a baro reading. Via usb the baro shows fine via wifi it doesn't. 

• While I could get the current mavesp8266 code to communicate with my Pixhawk (I don't currently own a Pixracer) The link quality was very low, with as much as 50% packet drop at time.

I think the problem is linked to the Mavlink parsing engine - I tried to fix it, but I ended up re-writing the whole thing from scratch. It's working very well for me

Code is available here https://github.com/MarkzP/PixFi

MarkzP/PixFi
              simple esp8266 based WiFi bridge for PX4 and derivatives - MarkzP/PixFi
          • Did you set the connection to UDP in mission planner? 

This reply was deleted.

Activity