Px4 Testing

I am starting this discussion to post information for  testing the Px4 platform.

Most of the discussion is currently in the APM vs Px4 thread. ArduCopter on the Px4 is a work in progressand has made great progress. I have Arducopter on a Px4 Fmu board hovering now and I am very glad to see the code base integrated into the Stm32 platorm. Ardupilot represents many hours testing and refinement , many thanks to Andrew Tridgell ,Randy Mackay  and the other developers as well as Gary Mcray for the documentation  on the Wiki

The Px4 can support a Quad with 4 Motors using only the Px4_FMu board with some of its Usart pins defined as Pwm outputs or using the Px4_Io board to supply Pwm motor (servo) outputs. The configuration with the Io board may work better at the moment , the Fmu only has a number of issues to get booted up  configured and running. It may be that all the testing at the moment is being done with boards that use the Px4_Io.

The Px4  usb is software driven not a ftdi chip like the Apm and has given problems but is working now . When the Stm32 bootloader starts it creates a Usb port with its own Id and sets up a DFU device for loading. If no bootloader request is received it jumps to the code startup and creates a usb serial port with a different USB Id for a mavlink connection. Windows drivers have to deal with the Usb connection and connect the appropiate driver.

I think the Px4 vs Apm  answer is that it is still early in the Px4 development but shows great promise.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• there is a parameter in arduplane in whcih you can set the servoes to digtital or analog. just try changing the parameter. hopefully the twitching would go away.

• hi there

got my PX4 with PX4io up and running

connects via telemetry link.

got a Futaba R7008sB RX, configured for Mode B, so the S-Bus is active on Port8.

I can't calibrate my RC... no reaction

any help appreciatet ;-)

• Hi all,

I have finally get my PX4 to the air :)

I use it with ArduCopter 3.0.0 on big octocopter (Cinestar 8). It works really good !

I just have some glicht coming from the roll in according to the log, I have to upgrade my ppm encoder. By the way, has anyone succeed with the SBus on PX4 ? I have tried but it doesn't work :/ Too bad, I have to use my ppm encoder...

Tristan

• hi martin, i was able to get PWM output on servo header on arduplane. i had uploaded arduplane 2.74 and that solved the problem. i think in earlier version the APM was not arming. i had to arm the APM using the arming button. after that the servos respond to RC sticks.  thanx for the help. i think now i am ready to try it on the plane. airspeed sensor is also working fine.

• i have not tried it on arducopter. i am using a frsky futaba clone with PPM output which works fine with APM2.5. i can calibrate the radio control on mission planner and all the bars are responding on all channels. i think i am not able to ARM the arduplane.

• even after arming the PX4 when using arduplane, i do not get any PWM on servo output header. after arming the pulse changes form regular flash to heartbeat type and mission planner indicated 'ARMED' even then there is no servo movement in manual mode. any clue what is missing.

• i am not getting any output on servo header of px4io baord when i put arduplane in manual mode. on none of the four channels the servos are responding to r/c sticks. i have arduplane 2.73 loaded. can any one suggest.

• @martin, i could not locate the script on Qupgrder. can u please copy it from ur SD card and post by mail. i had trying to connect arduplane for last 60 days via USB but could not. i can connect using 3DR.

• @remi, u can connect OSD directly to telemetry port using the same cable as for the 3DR radio. just remove the Tx wire on the 3DR side. OSD needs signal only on Rx pin from telemetry port.

• @martin are u able to connect arduplane using USB cable.

This reply was deleted.

Activity