Radio Trim Settings.

Hi Everyone.

I have a question about what your doing with the trim settings on your radio. I find it annoying to deal with the trim settings on my radio. Since we are not supposed to use them, what do you do with yours? I have always set my to the center position and calibrated my radio that way, but they inevitably get knocked about and do not stay in the same location. I worry that this has been causing me issues with the ideal super stable quad I am trying to achieve.

Last night I tried setting all my trim settings to the far edges of the travel. So for throttle and elevator, they were moved to the bottom, rudder and aileron were moved to the far right. I did a radio recalibration, strange things happened. The throttle did not spin up the motors correctly. I figure I would have to a ESC calibration again, but I wanted to see if anyone else has done anything like this and what you all thought of this idea.

Cheers all and Happy New Year!

Brian.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Maybe it is because my radio is old, maybe it is because of something else I am not aware of but even with recalibrating the radio and the ESC's I could not get this plan to work well at all.

I have moved on the plan that u4eake suggested, duct tape it is.

Thank you both very much for the input!

Brian.

• The problem with moving your trims to either extreme is you are changing the throw of the gimbal electronically.  On my JR X9303, if you set the throttle trim to the bottom or top, you either add or subtract about 16 (out of 100) points of travel. The same would be true of each axis but, my radio has digital trims for the other three axis.  

If you choose to go this route, you will have to recalibrate all of the axis, not just the throttle.  

• 100KM

On a radio with digital trims, they don't get knocked about.  They stay the same for each individual model you program into the transmitter.

If I didn't have digital trims, I would put a piece of tape over my trims for arducopter.  Moving your trims to the extreme should also work, provided you recalibrate esc's.

This reply was deleted.

Activity