Hey there everyone. I'm quite new to all this and have built a gimbal controller with a gopro hero3. Ideally the project will eventually be used in a drone.

I have written some code which takes the angles outputted from the IMU's in the simplebgc and the current gps location from a gps module I have, and does some simple geopointing calculations.

The next step will be using an arduino mini to use serial communication to read the angles from the IMU's (from the simpleBGC) and the GPS data, and then send these values to my laptop for use in the program.

Can anyone advise me on the setup I would require for this? I have been doing some searching on the forum but am struggling to turn up anything that specifically pertains to this project.

I have a basic understanding of the serial command structure, but it seems unusual to read the IMU pitch roll and yaw using an arduino from the simple BGC.

Has anyone else done something similar who might be able to point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Chris, 

Thanks for having a look. I have already had a look at the serial protocol spec on the bgc site, but it's a tad overwhelming. I think I need to send the following commands to the board from the arduino:

ANGLE_ROLL – 2s (in 0.1 degree) • ANGLE_PITCH – 2s • ANGLE_YAW – 2s

Is that right? As I understand I simple plug in the transmission and receiving pins to their reverse on the arduino and I can begin sending serial commands?

Thanks for the help.

ChrisAT said:

I never tried it but using the serial interface should work. I found an old document about the protocol specification: SimpleBGC 2.3 serial protocol specification - BaseCam Electronics

Maybe this works for you.

greetings, chris

• I never tried it but using the serial interface should work. I found an old document about the protocol specification: SimpleBGC 2.3 serial protocol specification - BaseCam Electronics

Maybe this works for you.

greetings, chris

https://www.google.at/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0ahUKEwjLxNCtg57SAhVExRQKHfwfCEs…
This reply was deleted.

Activity