RFD900, RFD900+ - New long range radio modem

Hi All,

I would like to introduce you to a new radio modem that we developed for very long range datalinks!

http://rfdesign.com.au/RFD900.php

Some of the key features of the RFD900 are as follows:

• Multi point and point to point link capability.
  • Long range >40km depending on antennas and GCS setup.
  • 2 x RP-SMA RF connectors, diversity switched.
  • 1 Watt (+30dBm) transmit power.
  • Transmit low pass filter.
  • > 20dB Low noise amplifier.
  • RX SAW filter.
  • Passive front end band pass filter.
  • Open source firmware / tools, field upgradeable, easy to configure.
  • Small (30 x 57 x 13 mm), light weight (14.5g).
  • Compatible with 3DR / Hope-RF radio modules.
  • License free use in Australia, Canada, USA, NZ.

These modems are designed to support long range applications, while being easy to use and affordable.  

These modems have been flying in various platforms and have demonstrated excellent performance in real applications. 

RFD900 modems are now available at: http://store.rfdesign.com.au

Support within APM planner and the radio configurator from Michael Oborne is already available.

It works seamlessly with APM planner, all radio Mavlink parameters are available.

Update, December 2014:  The RFD900+ with improved specifications is available now at:

http://store.rfdesign.com.au/rfd-900p-modem/

Seppo Saario

rfdesign.com.au

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I'm having a problem sometimes with the link quality being bad at boot up, even with both modems very close together (around 1 meter)

This also makes the "Getting Params" process slow. Is this process necessary or can I skip it?

Thanks

• I am interested in a one-to-many application. (one ground control, many rovers)

Does this modem support one-to-many application?

Thanks

• Hi.

I just wanted to say thank you for the fast shipping and the great product. It worked right out of the box and link quality is the best I have seen.

I was wondering how the RCLink project has developed? Is someone using the RFD900 to also manually control the aircraft? I would like to have a manual override possibility in case something goes wrong (GPS Failure, Airspeed sensor, etc.)

Again thanks for the great product and the community support

• Jose,

I'm using a joystick, mission planner, and a RFD 900 for control over a boat.  Works great as long as your computer is not scheduled to install updates while you are using it.  Had a problem with that once.

Regards,

David R. Boulanger

• lol that sucks, never happened to me but I will to take into account.

The problem is fix wing airplanes usually need lower latency in control than a boat.

I used the low latency setting on the modem and it is bordline usable for manual flight, but definitely usable for FWB

• Jose;

With fixed wing I think you would be O.K. for long range.  Landing... not so much.  The latency I have seen in the boat is barely noticeably if at even at all.  Just my experience so far.  I would not be comfortable using it with my Helicopter with a lot of camera gear on it however.  Computer crashes and your screwed.

Regards,

David R. Boulanger

• Hi everyone, I purchased the RFD900+ radios for my drone and I'm using Android Tower app also mission planner, my problem is I receive telemetry but I cannot upload or download waypoints or parameters, can anyone help?
    • Have you tried swapping your TX/RX wires? TX on ground radio should go to RX of FTDI adapter, vice versa for RX on ground radio. TX on aircraft radio should go to RX on Pixhawk/APM telemetry port, vice versa for RX on aircraft radio.

• Not only the RFD900 modems are reliable but are a direct fit with Mavlink. I do have used a dozen of them now without a glitch!

It is better to give them a 'clean' power (5 Volts) as it seems to connect better.

The service provided by rfdesign is outstanding and I highly recommend them.

Don't have to talk to them much as their modems just work flawlessly.
  • Hi everyone. I'm a huge fan of the RFD900 data radios and have been using them for the past couple years. Over this time period, I have come up with a nice 3D printed enclosure for it. It can be useful for both aircraft mounting as well as ground station mounting. I have decided to sell the .STL files for it to help fund my hobby and to be able to afford other equipment to continue designing enclosures or UAV gear (Recently graduated college and broke lol). I figured offering just the .STL will allow people to make as many enclosures as they want, and to have control on material/color/quality of the 3D print. If you'd like any changes to the design, please let me know and I'll modify to suit your specific needs. PM me if interested. For now, I've posted the design on ebay, and I will email the file to you after purchase.

RFD900 Enclosure 

This reply was deleted.

Activity