I created very simple setup to track the speed and altitude of my RC plane.

On the plane: In addition to the AR500 spektrum 5 channels,

XBee pro 2.4 connected directly to ublox 407 (RX,RT) they shared a regulated 5DC power source. power by a separate 300ma lipoly.

On ground: another xbee pro 2.4 and a simple ground station module using VB express.

Plane airframe is Cessna, the box that had xbee and gps was on top of the wing.

After a successful takeoff, and after about two min, suddenly I totally lost control over the plane, lucky me the Cessna is a forgiving plane , it glided down safely.

I discovered that the receiver is no longer functioning? IT IS DEAD.

One week later I used a cheap 14$ receiver from HK with the same setup.

I got one full flight, with wouderfull telementry data and brought it down normally.

When I tried to use the receiver, I discovered that it is also knocked down????!!!

Both receiver no longer even lit when I provide ESC input.

In both incidents, the telemetry was un-interruptible.

I understand that there should be some interference , and that's what I was experimenting, but to kill both receivers, that is one big surprise??!!!!.

Can anyone help in trying to revive the dead receivers?

Is there any configuration on the XBee that can be done to ease its impact on the receivers?

Oh, one more thing there was clear interference  with the HK setup (specially elevator), but when I used hi rates on the radio, all interference have gone, I thought I WAS SAFE.

Regards

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• First of all thanks for all your support.
    Mark, Chris:
    I already purchased 900 series, this was based on your earlier warnings “thank you” never too late to correct , but I hoped that I still can use the 2.4 for something. I guess not.
    Hessel, Brian:
    I used regulated power supply from Sparkfun,
    http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=114
    the input was a lipo 2s 7.4v 300ma and the output is 5v regulated which was feeding both the gps 407 and the XBEE.
    There was a seperate 3s lipo 1800 ma for the ESC at the bootom of the fusel.

Logically speaking they were near each other only the wing foam separated them.

What also worries me that I got a "cheap" 2.4 camera tx, rx from r2hobbies and now I'm afraid to burn yet another equally priced receiver?!
    http://www.r2hobbies.com/proddetail.php?prod=rcsc00004

I thought that Spektrum DSM was based on scanning the range and finding an empty slot to bind , it seems that this is not what is really happening.
    Is there any “safe distance”? I’m willing to sacrifice another HK cheap receiver just to get any use out of the ~ 120$ 2.4 XBEE and their adaptor

Thanks again for your support.
  • What was the power setting of the XBee's ?
  • Hi Fouad,

I read your problem and I just read last night the manual for the xbee 900mhz that goes up to 40km or so. The manual is on sparkfun with a range test connecting the tx to rx. It said there in a note that you should keep the two xbees at least 2m of or 2ft away from each other or else you will damage the rx part of the xbee. Guess that's the same for your receiver being to close to the xbee. Blows up the receiver because of the high input.
    Good luck on fixing the receivers.
  • T3
    As Chris pointed out, there is significant risk in using 2.4 XBees with 2.4 Ghz RC gear. Not all 2.4Ghz RC gear is created equal and each type and setup needs to be evaluated individually.

I've had many successful flights with the Corona V2 series 2.4 GHz gear alongside my Xbee, but before ever taking to the air I did extensive ground testing to make sure control range wasn't reduced and telemetry data wasn't compromised. The antennas are separated by 16 inches and I saw no degradation in performance of either system.

As far as actually killing your receivers, I'd be really surprised if the XBee would burn up the front end of two receivers. It's simply not enough power. I guess there's always a chance but I would think pretty slim. I would suspect the power supply first. Is the battery eliminator supply on your speed controller working?
  • 3D Robotics
    That is weird, but we've been really clear in warning people that you should not use 2.4 Xbees with 2.4 RC gear. And since the 900 Mhz Xbees have longer range, I think you'll be happier switching to them.
  • Developer
    I am using xBee Pro 900 with no issues. It is hard to believe that xBee 2.4 has enough power to cause Rx damage?
  • wow... wouldnt have thought that a 2.4g XBee inches away from a 2.4g Spektrum equals death of a spektrum receiver?!?
This reply was deleted.

Activity