Solo Providing Telemetry Data to FLIR Vue Pro?...

Hello Everyone,
I have mounted a FLIR Vue Pro R thermal camera core to my 3DR Solo for obtaining still thermal-IR images.  The Vue Pro has an Accessory Port cable that is pre-terminated to connect properly with the 3DR PixHawk TELEM 1 port (see attached illustration from Vue Pro user guide).  The Vue Pro can be configured to capture telemetry data provided by GPS, altimeter, accelerometers from the PixHawk. This data is saved as standard EXIF metadata in the still image files (TIFF). Does anyone have experience with the PixHawk on board the Solo with regards to a TELEM 1 port being available for connecting the Vue Pro’s Accessory Port cable to?
Warm regards,
- Craig Thompson

FLIR_Vue_Pro_PixHawk_Telemetry_connect.jpg

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Joel,

Thanks for the info on how to check for GeoTag data.  And thanks so much for your suggestion that you posted over at the 3DR Pilots forum about the Rx (green) and Tx (white) wiring.  You were right!!  They were in the opposite slots on the connector!  I just switched them and was able to get the telemetry data!  :-)   I appreciate all your assistance!

Warm regards,

- Craig 

Joel Newman said:

Craig,

You were asking about software to read the geotags - you should just be able to do it in Windows Explorer. Right click on the image, select Properties, go to the Details tab, then scroll down to the GPS section.

• Hi Gary,

Thanks so much for the reply.  Appreciate you answering me so quickly.

Warm regards,

- Craig

yangdaonline said:

Hi Craig,

Sorry the gimbal can not do that currently.

Best regards,

Gary Chen

• Craig,

You were asking about software to read the geotags - you should just be able to do it in Windows Explorer. Right click on the image, select Properties, go to the Details tab, then scroll down to the GPS section.

• Hi Craig,

Sorry the gimbal can not do that currently.

Best regards,

Gary Chen

• Mr YangdaOnline Representative,

Is your gimbal able to write the telemetry data (latitude, longitude, altitude, etc.) from the Solo PixHawk2 autopilot to the JPG still images collected on the FLIR Vue Pro?  I would definitely be interested in purchasing your gimbal if that was indeed the case.

Warm regards,

- Craig

• Hi Quevauvillers Samuel,

Well, I've connected my Vue Pro to the Solo, upgraded the firmware on the Pixhawk and setup the Mission Planner for the correct parameters on the SERIAL2_PROTOCOL.  I've got the radiometric temperature values on the JPEG images but I'm not sure if the location telemetry data has been encoded on the images.  What software are you using to check to see if your images have the temperature values and location data?

Thanks!

- Craig

Quevauvillers Samuel said:

I get it too ! Thanks

BUT do not forget to also set the MAVLINK setting in the Flir with your smartphone. Settings menu -> ACCY. PORT -> Serial Protocol -> Mavlink.

• Hi Joel,

Well, I've connected my Vue Pro to the Solo, upgraded the firmware on the Pixhawk and setup the Mission Planner for the correct parameters on the SERIAL2_PROTOCOL.  I've got the radiometric temperature values on the JPEG images but I'm not sure if the location telemetry data has been encoded on the images.  What software are you using to check to see if your images have the temperature values and location data?

Thanks!

- Craig

Joel Newman said:

Yes, that all looks correct.

**BUT**

Do not do this, yet. If you change the SERIAL2_PROTOCOL parameter you will probably brick your Solo (ie it will never boot up properly).

When you look at your Solo app you will see that the firmware version is 2.4.2 (or something like that). But your Pixhawk has it's own firmware, and it will be running version 1.3.1 from July last year. For some unknown reason 1.3.1 doesn't allow mavlink via serial2, so you need to update the Pixhawk firmware to a newer version, like 1.5.2, before you change that parameter.

There's a very good post on 3drPilots about the process for upgrading to 1.5.2 here:

http://3drpilots.com/threads/autopilot-firmware-upgrade-from-1-3-1-...

If you do this, follow their instructions exactly.

And there's a very long post on the 3DR Solo Hacks facebook group with a lot of info about this particular problem (just search for SERIAL2_PROTOCOL).

I hope this helps, please let us know how you get on.

• Hi Craig,

You could get the 5V power source from SOLO gimbal cable.It is pin2,please check following image.

Anyway,you need to drill holes on the bottom plate to mount the gimbal,see following photo.

If you want to make the wiring to look better,then you could 3D print one plate to mount the gimbal,we will provide you with the size of upper plate of the gimbal accordingly.

As to where to put the receiver,one of our clients just put it at the bottom of the airframe with velcro(sorry I do not have the photo).

3702355463?profile=original

3702355200?profile=original

3702355391?profile=original

3702355479?profile=original

3702355517?profile=original

cable.it - cable Resources and Information.
    cable.it is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find he…
  • Hi YnagdaOnline Representative,

Do you have any photos on how your Sky Eye-II Vue Pro Gimbal attaches to a 3DR Solo?  Also, I'm a bit confused on how the gimbal would be wired to the Solo.  Would you have any diagrams that explain how the wires would be connected to the Solo and the RC Receiver?  Mainly, where would the receiver be mounted and where would the power source (5v DC) some from.  I'm assume it's from an external battery?

Warm regards,

- Craig

yangdaonline said:

Hi Joel, No,the telemetry is not transmitted through the gimbal,you need one extra receiver. We have one HDMI converter to transmit HDMI video from SOLO,please check the picture of converter and a wiring diagram.

3702355292?profile=original

3702355352?profile=original

• Hi Joel, No,the telemetry is not transmitted through the gimbal,you need one extra receiver. We have one HDMI converter to transmit HDMI video from SOLO,please check the picture of converter and a wiring diagram.

3702355292?profile=original

3702355352?profile=original

This reply was deleted.

Activity