I am looking for feedback on using the Sony RX100iii as an aerial mapping camera. Currently we use the Canon SX260 with occasional blurred shots and lower-res/quality than we would like. The RX100iii looks like an excellent replacement but I am hoping for some feedback before making a purchase.
Thanks!
Replies
Although I am very happy with my Samsung NX1000 - very reliable, light weight and good value for money, some 15000 trouble free shots to date - I changed to the Sony Alpha 6000 because it has live video out - something the NX1000 des not have. See http://diydrones.com/profiles/blog/list?user=2amo6urztvqt6 for a robust quality check on the Alpha 6000.
I saw that post. Nice work.
I like the specs of the Alpha 6000. What 16mm lens are you using with it?
Pardon my jumping in here, but with GIS, a wide angle lens like your 16mm would normally introduce too much distortion, does it not?
@Sgt Ric you are thinking of a traditional full frame 16mm. On APS-C sized sensors it converts to about 24mm.

Hi,
I'm very interesting by the answer of @Reuben.
I have two cameras for my Iris+, one Canon S100 and Sony QX 100.
My problem is for trigger QX 100, is it really possible to trigger this cam with USB port?
The camera have a "A/V Remote Terminal: Multi/Micro USB Terminal*6 , Hi-Speed USB (USB2.0)"
Thanks for your help.
Regards,
Sylvain from France
Bonjour !
Yes if you have the multi port on your camera .. you can use my cable to trigger the shutter ..also depending on the camera .. you can also get video out to a screen on the ground .. but this requires two more wires attached to the S2 plug ..
Salute
Reuben
Hi ,, I don't think the QX100 has multi port .. just has standard Usb . I think Shutter is only working with phone app ?
Why dont you hot wire it ? attach the remote trigger direct to the shutter button contacts ?
Hi,
Here the specifications of QX100:
https://developer.sony.com/devices/cameras/sony-smartphone-attachab...
Apparently, there's a multi port USB.
This camera would be perfect for aerial mapping, only 180 gr.
Sylvain
Hi ..one way is to email Sony support and ask if it is possible to remote trigger the camera with a wire connection.. not with the wifi one. See what they say .. I think the usb port on the body is only usb 6 pin?
-
1
-
2
-
3
-
4
-
5
of 6 Next