Starting out... More than just an intro

It seems that the ArduPilot guys are doing a great job and are really starting to push new development, but I'm having an issue with it all.   If I want to get everything going right now, it seems very easy enough to buy the ArduPilot, the plane, and off I go.  It'll be up and going, with very little understanding of everything. 

If I wanted to recreate the wheel and go through the same things that the ArduPilot team went through, I was hoping I would find that information here.  So, I'm wondering if Chris or anybody else have some links for me to explain things like, 

Telemetry - How it works, what it needs to do and provide. 
GPS - What it needs to provide and how it is used
IMU's - How it takes that information in, processes it and decides on how to correct the aircraft. 

The big one is the electronics..  How did the appropriate parts on the IMU get selected? (i.e. Math behind it, etc)

I know this is a tall order, and it may be something that the team doesn't want to explain for reasons of someone copying it, but as a person who likes to look inside the hood, I'm super curious. Maybe under the introduction section we can have links and explanations in technical detail. 

I'm not an EE or have any sort of electronics background.  I work in IT, but I'm not a software engineer, but I can go through code, but enjoy reading about how it all works and seeing the code together. 

Any help would be great. 

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• As a relative (but informed) newcomer myself, I happen to agree with RajinBajin that it is rather difficult knowing where to start, and the apparent lack of chaos doesn't help. The truth of the matter is; there is no "AHRS/IMU for Dummies" series on here, or even any papers that make it easy (as in a spoon-fed and organized lesson plan). Well, except for TJ Bordelon's recent Circuit Cellar article entitled "FreeSpace IMU: A Quaternion-Based Algorithm for Attitude Estimation" - which is so simplified (in implementation) that I'm skeptical until I try it for myself and compare it against more robust schemes.

There are some great starting points on here if you want to self-educate, and can stomach the math. My starting point was the various Mahony papers, then Bill Premerlani's DCM IMU Theory paper, followed by his matrix rotation paper, Euler angles paper, wind estimation paper, and all his relevant discussions on here. That's in addition to reading several dozen research papers on IMU PID controls, IMU fusion algorithms, unscented kalman filters, extended kalman filters, and novel approaches at estimation and correction.

It took me about a week of poking around and reading all the project descriptions on here before being able to assess what it was I didn't know. At that point, I at least knew what to look for. Then, the real education began. But... you have to have a stomach for math if you want to develop "the better mouse trap."

Good luck in your search. Until you master everything, please keep your UAV away from my home. :)
  • I appreciate the responses from everyone, especially Lew with the "Let me google that for you" link. The "mahony quaternion DCM" start is exactly what I was looking for and something that isn't present on the front page of the site that says "I'm new to all this--where do I start?".

I think that is the real problem. Yes, I do know the old saying of RTFM, it would just be great if there was a semi-organized manual to read. Instead it's tons of posts, comments, links that give you no starting basis or anything. It is truly trying to find a needle in the haystack type of learning. While, that may work for some as they are lucky and come across a link that takes them off in their progress, some sort of organization in the documentation is necessary for the majority.

Again, thank you for the starting point Lew. That is exactly what I was looking for and not just the draconian method of learning that seems to be found on most corners of the internet.
    Being in IT like me, you should be aware of the motto RTFM.

The threads, blogs, and forums posts here on the site show the development of many of the DIYDrones projects and all of them show the growth from an idea to their present point.

Being open source, the "under the hood" part is entirely transparent and open to input from anyone.
  • 3D Robotics
    Everything you need is here on this site--you just need to spend some time reading. We've written it all already here and you simply need to search or browse for it. (the search bar is at top right).
This reply was deleted.

Activity