Survey for Safety

I would like your help.  Safety is my number one issue with drones. Last year I was learning to fly my  Parrot AR. Drone that I had fitted with carbon fiber blades.  I was doing a simple take off and landing in the living room to impress a friend.  I was hovering and accidentally hit the "Home" button. Instead of a soft landing the AR Drone took off from a distance of about 10' from me and came right at my face.  As I was trying to deflect it, the carbon fiber blade put a gash on my left eye, just missing my eyeball.  I don't know about you, but that really soured my experience and nearly put out my eye. 

I had every intention of taking the money I had saved to start a Real Estate Photography company.  Instead I became afraid of the drone. A friend purchased a Phantom from DJI and had a very similar experience on his very first flight.

Oddly enough I became so fascinated with the industry that started to look for solutions to the danger of any multi-rotor with plastic or carbon fiber blades.  I came up with what I affectionately call DroneKone.  It is complete and substantial propeller protection to help make drones safer.

I started a small company with my limited funds and developed a model of my concept.  I was able to get a provisional patent on my safety device.  Then I had a devastating life event and was out of action for a year.  I have recovered.  I don't have any funding at this point except out of my pocket and started seeking funding. I was told by a potential investor that I needed to survey 100 people to find out if my product is market worthy.

Okay enough story.  Simple Survey for Safety:

1. Yes or No  Are you concerned about drones flying around Children? 
  2. Yes or No  Do you have a concern about your personal safety when flying a drone?
  3. Yes or No  If a safety device was available would you consider purchasing it?
  4.                  What would a safety device look like to you if you could design one?
  5.                  How much would you pay for a safety cage if one was available when you purchase your drone.

I greatly appreciate you reading this far and ask for help.  If this is just plain stupid, then I would like to know that now, before I spend any money on moving further.

Thank you so much for listening.  I am grateful to be a small part of this awesome community.

bob

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 1. No. I don't have kids yet

2. No. I've happily never had a human to drone collision yet, keep in mind I've been flying for over 4 years

3. Yes. I'd rather bounce off trees rather than get my blades tangled 

4. Take a look at this one. Remember, the simpler and lighter, the better performance.

Air-Hogs-Elite-Helix-X4-Radio-Control-Quadcopter.jpg?width=320

5. I wouldn't buy a fly cage. I enjoy flying outdoors and I have a large canyon near my house. I know plenty of people who would though!

Good luck with your company!

• Khoa,

Thank you for taking time to fill out the survey.  I know this copter.  I think it is rather small and a toy, not intended for commercial use like the DJI products.

Thanks for the Good Luck.  I can use all the support I can garner.

bob

• 1. Yes, but I don't fly round kids (unless they're behind some kind of barrier?)

2. No, I am very careful, I follow safety precautions such as removing blades if doing tests. 

3. Maybe, depends on how well it is designed, probably no due to the fact that it is added weight, and if treated carefully then I wouldn't need it. However if very well designed, then maybe. But probably not too much for safety, rather to protect the propellers from tip overs etc. This is another selling point you should stress. 

Something I would seriously consider is a kind of duct. Ducts can even improve performance. This duct could have some kind of removable mesh screen. The product would have to extremely light and strong, a carbon fiber sandwich construction would be best. Intergration into the motor mount could be done, perhaps even the arms. 

Here is a few photos

3702719011?profile=original

There are more attached,

I would pay £10 - 25 per prop depending on rotor size. You'll need to make different sizes, but using a duct you wouldn't have to worry about how many rotors the copter has. 

Thanks

Printed duct quadrant.JPG

medium.jpg

thrustduct.jpg

• James,

Excellent thoughts!  I never considered individual ducts that would attach to the quad motor mount.  I really like the 3D printer Quad called TurboThrust shown in your medium.jpg image.  If you had that kind of product available and would pay 25 per prop, then for a hex or octo you would pay 150 or 200 for safety in general.

Do you fly professionally?

I thank you for you insight about it being as much to protect the propellers from impact as it is protecting people from the propellers.  I agree, if everyone took adequate precautions safety would not have to be mandated.

Thank you so much for taking the time to add to my survey!

bob

safethedrones.com

Thank you for your reply. 3 down and 97 to go (surveys). 

• Thank you Mike.
    1. Yes  Are you concerned about drones flying around Children? 
    2. Yes  Do you have a concern about your personal safety when flying a drone?
    3. Yes  If a safety device was available would you consider purchasing it?
    4.  Inconspicuous - Sturdy      What would a safety device look like to you if you could design one?
    5.  $50 to $80 Quad to Hex, $100 Octo      How much would you pay for a safety cage if one was available when you purchase your drone.
    6. Crash Resistant
This reply was deleted.

Activity