Survey for Safety

I would like your help.  Safety is my number one issue with drones. Last year I was learning to fly my  Parrot AR. Drone that I had fitted with carbon fiber blades.  I was doing a simple take off and landing in the living room to impress a friend.  I was hovering and accidentally hit the "Home" button. Instead of a soft landing the AR Drone took off from a distance of about 10' from me and came right at my face.  As I was trying to deflect it, the carbon fiber blade put a gash on my left eye, just missing my eyeball.  I don't know about you, but that really soured my experience and nearly put out my eye. 

I had every intention of taking the money I had saved to start a Real Estate Photography company.  Instead I became afraid of the drone. A friend purchased a Phantom from DJI and had a very similar experience on his very first flight.

Oddly enough I became so fascinated with the industry that started to look for solutions to the danger of any multi-rotor with plastic or carbon fiber blades.  I came up with what I affectionately call DroneKone.  It is complete and substantial propeller protection to help make drones safer.

I started a small company with my limited funds and developed a model of my concept.  I was able to get a provisional patent on my safety device.  Then I had a devastating life event and was out of action for a year.  I have recovered.  I don't have any funding at this point except out of my pocket and started seeking funding. I was told by a potential investor that I needed to survey 100 people to find out if my product is market worthy.

Okay enough story.  Simple Survey for Safety:

1. Yes or No  Are you concerned about drones flying around Children? 
  2. Yes or No  Do you have a concern about your personal safety when flying a drone?
  3. Yes or No  If a safety device was available would you consider purchasing it?
  4.                  What would a safety device look like to you if you could design one?
  5.                  How much would you pay for a safety cage if one was available when you purchase your drone.

I greatly appreciate you reading this far and ask for help.  If this is just plain stupid, then I would like to know that now, before I spend any money on moving further.

Thank you so much for listening.  I am grateful to be a small part of this awesome community.

bob

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• First lol I'm sorry but I could imagine sitting at ur hose and seeing this take place and cold see how this would be a fear full first experience but u forgot the duck and weave move for ur self. I have flew a couple smaller moddel drones in my house until my wife grounded me. The biggest mistake almost everyone makes is the (show off for friends move) this should only be done after learning to fly in an open setting to learn all the controls then show off to ur friends. I have 3 kids and do not have a worries in world about taking off and flying about or hovering above them as I fly around the yard after them do I think safty should be taken yes I do especially with bigger drones they go from toys to something much more and can be very dangerous. I think the biggest thing to sell would be commonsense you know a little goes a very long way but accidents do still happen and any kind of safety features are a must with that said don't let one bad experience ruin things for you life is to short to not do the things you want
    • Kris,

Thank you for your input.  It was funny after the fact.  I'm glad you use precautions when flying.  I agree this is the biggest thing.

bob

• I'm not sure where to answer the survey so I'll just answer it here.
    1. no, I would not be concerned about drones flying around children as long as the person knows how to fly
    2. I don't really feel any concerns of my personal safety when flying a drone really.
    3. I think it would depend on me buying it on what it looks like, how affective it is and what type of drones if can be put on. A lot of drones come with propellor guards unless you make your own.
    • Jeyoung,

Thank you for your response.  I personally feel that propeller guards are inadequate protection, but they are certainly better than no propeller guards!

bob

The attached is a concept I'm working with.  It needs to be versatile to fit multiple copters, but I'm thinking more custom fitted.

frontlegsdowncam.jpg

1. Yes or No  Are you concerned about drones flying around Children?

Mostly no, I don't fly around kids. 

2. Yes or No  Do you have a concern about your personal safety when flying a drone?

No for anything spinning 12" or under  plastic props. "Mostly no" for  larger propellers and carbon props. But I am always concerned about  the personal safety of other (adults), if around,  that I may no be able to control. Note : I approach flying larger copters like I'd approach flying  lawn mowers. That's what they are. Lots of separation, and  always ready to hit manual mode at the slightest "weird" flight behavior.

3. Yes or No  If a safety device was available would you consider purchasing it?

Absolutely. Would have to be available for props in size 15" to 28"

4. What would a safety device look like to you if you could design one?

Lots of designs around, google (image) prop guard. I'd go wire or thin carbon  lattice.

5.                  How much would you pay for a safety cage if one was available when you purchase your drone.

Quite a bit. Rule of thumb: Light, strong, cheap: Pick any two. 

I'd pay good money for something that could protect 17-18" props if it was a reasonable compromise  between weight and strength. Say $100-$400. In addition to safety, I'm also interested in those because they'd allow me to fly closer to objects, without a crash due to  the slightest brush with a wall, branch, etc ...

• John,

Thank you for taking time to do this survey.  What kind of copter are you flying?  I appreciate your comment "Rule of thumb: Light, strong, cheap."

• John,

Thank you for responding to the survey.  4 down and 96 to go.

Good point about the size of the copter you are flying is basically a flying lawn mower.  When treated with proper respect and care, we should never have to have safety devices.

15" to 28" props.  Wow that is a big copter.  Do you routinely use props larger than 15"? 

Thank you for the comment that you would pay for protection for the props if it met the weight vs. strength test.  We are looking in to a variety of materials even plastics covered with EPDM for cushion.

The prop guards that are out there detach to easily or break just by looking at them. We are looking to design complete and substantial propeller protection without adding weight the thrust on the motors cannot handle.

Again Thanks.

bob

safethedrones.com

1. Yes   Drones or any other dangerous thing needs to be a safe distance away from children.
        2. No    I have safety concerns but I lessen the risks by following the operating tips and guides found on this site and others.
        3. Yes and No  I could create prop guards for my 18" propellers not for safety but to avoid propeller damage. I use quality wooden propellers which to my surprise work great and cheap.
        4. I would create but would not buy either a ring that surrounds the propeller but Ideally I would just have straight tubes that project slightly beyond the reach of the propeller perhaps in a V shape. This would protect the prop when I perform a poor landing. All my prop breaks are from the Octocopter tipping over slowly.
        5.  My 18X6.1 wood props are 25 bucks a pair so I doubt it would be worth buying props guards unfortunately and I think damage is inevitable even with prop guards.
        • Ron,

Thank you for taking time to fill out my survey.  It is very important to me.  I may have a good Idea or not.  The users like you will tell me if I should continue my efforts.

• Ron,

Thank you for your informed reply.  What kind of copter do you fly.  18" props are big.  Do you fly professionally.

I am beginning to understand the need to protect the props from damage as much as to protect the props from damaging other objects.

bob

This reply was deleted.

Activity