Tarot gimbal config

I've been having all sorts of problems w/ my Tarot T-2D gimbal since it arrived.  I wish I had recorded some of the odd noises and strange positioning but can try to explain.  The noises "magically" resolved themselves recently, but it had started screaming at me, in it's own language, every time I powered up the Pixhawk.  This after several flights w/out incident.  That and some odd motor noises at different times from the very begining.  The only thing I can imagine that brought it on was that I've been trying to configure my Aux 3 (Spektrum DX8) control to the tilt function of gimbal.  That alarm noise has gone away after not changing anything that I'm aware of, only retrying a few more times in order to diagnose. 

Current situation though is the position of the gimbal is past 90 degrees straight down upon startup.  I've got a blinking blue light which means ready and connected to autopilot.  I have what I think is a connection via the Tarot software (ZYX-BMGC v1.5) although I can not upgrade the firmware or load a config.  I'm including a screen shot of that b/c it shows the camera tilt past 90 degrees I mention and proves I have connected to it I think. 

Do I have a bad gimbal?

Tarot_Config.png

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• These may help.

Firmware updates:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2WXguD2Ghs

PID tuning:
    http://youtu.be/BwogodUlGAI

I had issues with a T2D myself -- I returned it.

• Have you tried only connecting the signal wire from the pixhawk to the gimbal ?

A servo tester is also great for circumstances like this for basic testing.

• I have not, but will put that on the try list.  Tight quarters finding the signal wire to the bottom of my already mounted gimbal board though.

• Its also important not to move the gimbal when its starting up. The yellow light will turn blue when its finished its initial calibration. I personally added a little switch so i can power the multirotor and when everything is level, then i flip the gimbal power.

• I dont have a pixhawk, but in the past the apm didnt support pass thru of ch 7 or 8 so i had to connect directly from my rx to the tilt. This was easier as i am using an ezuhf and i cant config it to route one channel out in addition to the muxed stuff where all channels go out on one cable. I have only ever connected the signal, theres no need for the ground to be connected. Im just guessing but perhaps that is causing weird probs.

• Is there anything to that DSM2/DSMJ/DSMX connector that I should be using considering I'm using a Spektrux DX8 and the DSM connection on the Pixhawk for my satellite Rx?

http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common-tarot-gimbal/

According to that diagram, I assume my connections to the bottom (or top, depending) of the Tarot board are good for battery and Receiver/Camera Control Connector.  Hard to see w/ it put together.  Are we not to use the other connectors for DSM, Motor Driver or Gimbal Controller unless updating firmware?  Roll and Tilt Motors are also connected as well.

This probably relates more to the Tx control of gimbal and not the odd start up situation the Tarot T-2D is displaying, but I'm hoping there may be some relation.

• Mike,  Have you tried to just use rate mode instead of stick position mode to make sure it is at least working properly?

Regards,

David R. Boulanger

• David,  I have tried that, and am attempting to confirm, but that program continually goes into a 'not responding' mode and I have to kill it.  And now, my connectors are starting to get loose.  I'm loosing confidence quickly that even assuring stick position mode is set and the motor firmware is upgraded to v1.5 that this thing will be good.

I'm sure this was tested before it left 3DR, but I've spent way too many hours on this RTF kit just to get operational.  I have to call it quits for today at least, and it might be a couple days before I can get back at it.

• For tilt function, bypass the Pixhawk/APM all together.  Go direct from gimbal board to the channel 6 on spectrum receiver.  Make sure you connect ground as well.  Then thru mission planner, turn off gimbal stabilization all together.

• Keith,  That sounds like a good option and not the first time I've heard to try bypassing the Pixhawk.  Unfortunately, my receiver is the Spektrum remote/satellite w/ a single connection to the DSM port on the Pixhawk.  I'm thinking I should go w/ a full fleged Rx on this but was trying to keep it simple according the the 3DR recommendations.  I'm a little worried my channel mixing and mapping could get screwed up. 

I think all of the above is for the actual control (tilt) of the gimbal.  I'm still not convinced there isn't something wrong w/ the gimbal itself considering the spastic startup movements it continues to exhibit.  If I can ever manage to upgrade the motor firmware to 1.5, maybe I could rule that out.

This reply was deleted.

Activity