Now that my loiter performance is rock solid using AC 2.8.1, I’ve moved onto flying missions. So far, only about 40% of mission sorties are a success. My basic mission is 1) takeoff, 2) Delay, 3) Time Loiter at new location for 5 seconds, 4) Land. I’ve tried other commands with similar mission success results.
For my quad, poor mission performance is due to two issues: Questions about commands behavior not answered by the wiki and technical issues with my quad. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Questions not answered by the wiki:
1) What is the difference between the Waypoint and Time Loiter commands? Is the Time Loiter command the same as a Waypoint command with a delay specified? They seem to be overlapping behaviors. I’m not sure when to use one or the other.
2) How is Home used ? If I set a home in a mission plan via the mission planner, is that home location used for RTL? Or is home set once the copter is armed? I just don’t see why home is important.
3) When Waypoints are read from the quad, what is the purpose and function of the dialog that asks “Reset Home to Loaded Coords?”. I don’t see a difference in behavior between answering yes or no to that question. Just not sure what home is used for and the wiki doesn’t really explain it.
3) What is the “Home Tracker” option in the mission planning drop down list?
4) “condition_delay” doesn’t work for me. I assume it waits for a timer to end and then continue with the next mission step. It does nothing in my mission. How is it supposed to work? I may have a general issue with not understanding what the “condition” commands do. Do they need a “condition” command after each condition command? I guess I don’t understand what conditions the “condition” commands work.
Technical Issues with my quad:
5) About one third of the missions takeoff properly (very quickly) but when the copter reaches the target altitude and points toward the next waypoint, the copter starts to descend while moving toward the next waypoint. I have to intervene by moving to Stabilize mode before it hits the ground. Any idea why this might happen?
6) About 50% of my missions execute very well with a very quick assent to the target altitude on takeoff. The other 50% start out with takeoff very slowly – sometimes just hovering at 1 meter and sometimes ascending slowly up to the planned altitude and then erroneously descending. Why does it sometimes work and sometimes not work under the exact same conditions.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts on the above. Not being able to repeat missions is very frustrating. Also, I think the wiki could be improved to explain some command behaviors in a number of areas. I can help update the wiki once I figure out the answers to the above questions if desired.