It seems since going to 2.7 and up to 2.73 I am having uncontrollable glitches with the motors. I think I have isolated everything, no bullet connectors, checked the amperage draw of the 880 motors to see if bearings could be the problem.I have 2 units, TriHex & Octo with 1 inch carbon fiber tubing for the arms, exhibiting the same glitches, I don't know what's causing it. This morning I flew the TriHex for about 10 seconds and about 5 feet high and suddenly it rolled completely over upside down all within less than a second and broke 5 props, anybody else having this problem or a solution. I'm not flying anymore until I have a fix.....I see 2.74 is in the works but don't see anything that would fix this....Don

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• After purchasing APM 2.5 i have also glitshes with one motor. Not sure if it's motor 1or 2. It could be motor 1 is running faster or motor 2 is running slower..
  • The .log file indicates large spikes on the IN signals.

Go to Terminal tab, click the Log Browse button at the top of teh screen, and select any of the files you posted.

You  will have a window with a graph area at the top and a spreadsheet below, expend it to a decent size.

click on any cell in the data and use your down arrow to move while watching the labels at the top of the columns. You are looking for a row where it says roll_in  roll  pitch_in  pitch  yaw_in  yaw  etc.

Move to the roll_in cell and click the button 'Graph this data'.

See the spikes. Do the same for pitch_in and yaw_in. The yaw_in has the worst spikes.

There is your motor glitches.

It's on the RC inputs. 

So now you know where to start looking for your problems, it is happening somewhere between the Tx, Rx, and APM.

Had the same thing and  tracked it to something in the Tx, but as I use a module it is probably a broken solder joint in the Tx. Nothing to do with the APM at all. And by the way, I used this same Tx to fly a foamy at indoor flying last night, with notable glitches, but that doesn't mean there not there.

• I had glitches with motors like this. Make sure nothing is in the 8th position on inputs of APM 2.5 going to Rx

• Have you enabled Motors in your logs and checked the logs for that flight.

It can really reveal what is happening. I just went into the CLI and enabled ALL under LOGS.

It has indicated a bad Tx where I would never have picked it.

Just look at the motor outs and look for spikes, check roll_in, pitch_in etc and look for spikes,

Something told the motors to spike like that and the logs can lead you to what is causing it.

• Sounds like you've been 3dr'd

• Hi, I have the same problem! I flew with my tri for about 10 minutes with no problem and suddenly the motor turn on full speed and it flipped over and buried into the ground. I didn't read out the log yet but I really don't know what happened. I've got no bullet connectors (i've soldered everything). My tri is resting in peace and I've started to build a quad right now. I'm also not flying anymore before someone can tell me what's the problem. Letting a full carbon tri and quad crash again costs to much money for me. I have the APM 2.5 and used the 2.73 firmware for the tri. Please help

• Have been following with interest as I suddenly had the same problem, very random spikes, in all 3 axis's.

Checking the .log file I found the spikes on the _in channels, and hooking a PWM meter to the Rx output revealed random spikes on the channels.

Changing the Rx had no effect, so I looked at the Tx, which is a Futaba 9CHAP with a FASST module.

Luckily I have another identical Tx and swapping the two solved the problem. The spikes were being generated by an intermittent in the Tx.

Just thought I would broaden the field of discussion as its not a fault I would have suspected, and my focus was purely on the Hexa.

• I noticed the same issue. Didn't matter if it was on he bench or I was trying to get off the ground. The rpm would spike for a second and then return to normal.
    I didn't have the spike in my last test but broke all the props, my stupid mistake.
    The only changes I made was fixing the props so they were tight on the shaft and changes the servo cables from the RX to the APM. Shortened the cables to a few inches.
    Can you the spike on the bench?
    Randy
  • I have found that when my quad does not 'behave' regarding the motors, an 'DISARM' followed by an 'ARM' seems to clear it up.

For example: last week on flight #12... Initial start up and GPS lock was achieved. I ran the throttle up and the quad essentially lifted 3 legs and started to rotate in a yaw direction on the 4th leg! I throttled down then up, same results. The motor on the 4th leg was spinning but obviously not at the same RPM as the other 3. I pushed throttle farther and it got off the ground and immediately did about a 270 degree yaw and stopped. Throttle down to land. Same result on the 3rd throttle up.

At this point I disarmed, armed, and the behavior returned to 'normal' and I ran the battery down having fun.

I am going to look over the *.log file in a bit to see if there is something obivous (been repairing a crashed CP heli - another story for another time).

Jasonshort - I cannot find in the Wiki how to enable the Motors and Raw for the dataflash logs. This has been suggested in many discussions. It also does not appear with a '?' command in CLI under the logs section. It is probably hiding in plain view.

-=Doug

• Developer

Do you have any logs? 
    Jason

This reply was deleted.

Activity