I want to take photos of houses for realtor purposes and want to know the cheapest way to start out in the drone.  I believe the go pro to be the best way possible but if there is another please let me know. I jave nothing to use now and want to get an idea for a setup and the cheapest cost possible.

Thank you so much!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I'm working with a team starting a zero commission marketplace for people to buy and sell new and used drones. We're launching soon at DroneMarket.co. I'd appreciate knowing your thoughts of the idea.

http://dronemarket.co/
  • Michael, to be honest, if you are asking these kinds of questions, you are a long way from being in a position to carry it off. It does take a while, even with a phantom, to learn how to fly it. As well, you need to be able to set up your camera to be blur free running hacked open source software.

If you are serious about it, the first thing you need to buy is one of those $20 helicopters that you can fly indoors. When you can take off from a chair, fly under the table and land it on another chair, three times in a row, you are about ready for flying a phantom.

I would also argue that you are better off learning to fly the phantom wit the camera, or a representative weight attached.

AUS

• Hi Michael,

I agree with Thomas, a DJI Phantom is easy to use with a GoPro and well integrated for it and inherently a bit safer than bigger heavier copters.

With a GoPro you have lots of photo and video modes and since focus is very deep and the lens is fixed and wide, lots of realtor grade cropping options exist.

However in LA several realtor video photo uses have been shut down in breech of non-commercial only FAA use allowance.

And taking on the FAA is very non-productive win or lose.

In any case, FAA is fighting a growing flood of "marginal" uses so may or may not work out for you.

I would strongly suggest you learn to fly it very well and in the manner you are going to want to use for photography before you ever stick a camera on it however.

And for all our sakes learn to fly safely, not over and well away from people, these things do fall out of the sky at regular intervals, give consideration to what it would be like if it were falling on your head.

And it is easy to get lulled into complacency by these things just before the bottom falls out - literally.

It does not get easier or cheaper or safer with the camera on board.

Best Regards,

Gary

• GOPROs are great for video, but I would go with a canon point and shoot camera at 16MP. Use the Canon CHDK to set up the camera with an intervalometer to take a photo every 2 seconds. That way you just hover the thing and point it in the general direction for a few minutes and get at least a couple of good shots. A DJI phantom is all you need with a vibration damper mount. You could probably pay less, but if you are just starting out, the phantom is pretty fool proof.

AUS

• Admin

@Michael,

Cheap and reliable is kind of an oxymoron when it comes to using drones for photographic purposes.

Based on the experiences of a company that I consulted for, I would say that the DJI Phantom would give you the best bang for the buck.

Regards,

TCIII ArduRover2 Developer

This reply was deleted.

Activity