Your advice for mapping plane

I would like to have a plane that allows me to do mapping. I am looking for a model that can carry a payload of about 2kg I already have the pixhawks with the downlink, Futaba radio 14sg, sony nex-7 with 16mm pancake lens. 3S, 4S and 6S 5000mah battery. I would like to fly around 40 minutes. I want it to be disassembled and easily transported in a car.

I looked at some models like Penguin and X6 Skywalker FPV wing but the payload is to low,

For now, the 2014 model skywalker 1800mm and Latest Version Black skywalker X8 Flying Wing seems  a good choice.

What are your suggestions and advice about models for mapping?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• interesting opinions and experiences. does anyone has a word for the penguin as well.
  • Developer

My advice would be to start with a lighter camera and get some experience. An electric model that can carry 2kg for 40 mins is possible, but is right on the edge of what can be achieved with hobby level parts. Fly some lighter gear and gain experience first, then if you really do need those specs look at something like this:

http://www.swissfang.ch/airplane/

Alternatively, fly a petrol plane. I fly large (14kg) petrol planes, and they can carry large payloads for long distances. You do need some significant modelling experience though.

Cheers, Tridge

• Yip, I would agree 100% with Tridge.

I think there are many of us on the same mission here and some have arrived at workable solutions. Some of the conclusions and opinions I have collected from reliable/active users, and please keep in mind, I filtered these and deducted my own opinions - The X8 is a good platform but not as efficient as other available options. The Skywalker family 1800+ wingspan are good options. The SkyHunter twin boom is a good option although I've seen some complaints about endurance and wingspan being a little short - generous fuse space. And the last option within my budget range that I considered is the XUAV Talon. I cut my teeth on the AP using a Bixler and little Canon 2300A with the Canon hack - you will have issues, but that's part of the learning. Then I started buying the models mentioned above. I liked the Talon so much that I pulled a mould of the fuse (Inside and out) and is busy putting together a CNC wing cutter to cut the wing cores for a composite Talon - as many as I like:)))

This process aside - by just taking the out of the box Talon, the airframe can be ruggedized and re-enforced to a fairly high standard without adding a lot of weight. The interior space is very generous. If you can not fit your kit in there with padding, something is wrong. Even enough space for a gimbal. The APM setup files are available. I have not packed more than 8000mah, but some guys pack 20000mah in her and still hand-launch it.

Again, my opinion.

Good luck and enjoy.

• Put me in the queue as well please.

• I like to know how people ruggedize and re-enforce Talon EPO airframe. Could you share the pictures?

• MR60

I reinforce the talon surfaces using glass fiber cloth and wood glue like this:

3689588111?profile=original3689588145?profile=original

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3689588111?profile=original
      • Put me also in the queue for the composite one and I will take 3.

put me in the queue for composite Talons, love mine as well.

• Hi Gary, I'll post a build log once the first one is together. I'm waiting for my stepper motors and control boards from China for the CNC wing cutter - post office on strike:((. I'm sure they are lying in a stockpile of international parcels in Germiston. I tried to get to them at ORT Customs, but no luck. Very frustrating. I'll see if something happens by the end of the week. This gives me time to clean out the mould and plug.

This reply was deleted.

Activity