Dear all,

As we are supporting community mapping in Borneo and Papua [Indonesia], we have been able to, so far, use our multirotor [tricopter and quadcopter]. However, the customary forest that we are about to map are way too large to be mapped by multirotor. We think of using fixed wings platform. So far, we have chosen:

1.Airframe:

Skywalker 1680

http://www.fpvmodel.com/new-skywalker-1680-1800mm-wingspan-fpv-platform_g438.html

2. Camera:

Canon S100 [around 200 grams]

We expect to reach 1.5 hours flight if it's possible. So far, with tricopter, we flew for 18 minutes for each mission and we were able to map around 60 Hectares of area with great results. We aim at being able to map around 400 Hectares in one flight [with fixed wing] if possible.

Therefore, we need your inputs and experiences which combination of motors, ESC, propellers and battery should we use to reach our goals.

Thank you so much for your inputs and experiences. We are looking forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes,

Community Drones Team

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Hugues,

thanks lot for your information and remarks on the options we have. Very well thought, thanks again!

• Hi Yannick,

Thanks sooooo much for your information. That's definitely going to be my option for battery! Thanks lot again. Best of luck for you!

• Hi Rai, read your blog. So I know now what u are doing. 

• Hi Rai,

I´m actually also new to aerial mapping with unmanned aerial systems. But I got very fast addicted to it. We are working on Bamboo-Housing projects here in the Philippines now for 2 years. Fortunatally in the Philippines there are several very vital RC Groups as well as UAV groups who are very helpful. Credits to skyeeye and scratch nadado.
    We are doing the same in the Philippines. I bought my skywalker from FPV Model recently. Actually everything is fine.
    Please consider follwing points:

• Don´t forget to order also Glue, EPP Glue,Hot Glue equipment, Super Glue without dissolvers
    • longer Servo Cables,
    • BECs for the Servos, 
    • long Range Telemetry (RF Design Australia or JDrones Thailand, 
    • UHF for the case you loose the plain due to Autopilot issues at least u can try to fly the plane back by looking on your Desctop.(not a must have more nice to have)
    • shutter for different cameras (never know-also not a must have)
    • the best is you buy at least 2 planes (quitting a project and waiting for weeks is annoying
    • of course GPS
    • some additional servos 

If u are a Beginner with planes maybe FPV can help u for landing.
    Hobbyking from Honkong can also be a good choise, actually they have everything and they are cheap.

Would be great if we can link and share experience.
    Which autopilot u are considering to use for the plane?

So far the biggest issue is storing the huge amount of generated Data plus review of high resolution maps.
    What is the outcome, I mean for what exactly u are using the maps? Disaster risc reduction, agriculture...

Regards,
    Ali

• Hi Ali,

thanks so much for your input! would definitely be lovely to learn from each other and keep exchanging our "research" on increasing our drones performance. At the moment, we are really aiming at flying for 90 minutes in one mission and being able to map say around 300 Hectares of an area with acceptable detail. Thanks again for your input and let's keep on informing each other.

best wishes,

Rai

• 100KM

Hi Rai

We're doing the same, with the same camera, however we've developed a downward facing gimbal for the s100 so increase the quality. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGHCgbki8qI

I'm using 3s, perhaps you can look at 4s for more efficiency, but 1.5 hours is the absolute limit. I've never reached an hour myself, but I haven't really tried. Definitely a 12 " prop. I've received a T-Motor AT2820 kv830 from FPVModel for the 4s setup.

For batteries, the zippy compact series is probably the best in terms of energy density for lipos. Also very cheap.

Ensure that your PTCH2SRV_RLL is set correctly so that you don't lose altitude on the turns, thereby having the throttle up again. Also make sure your rudder is mixed in.

Please let me know how it goes.

• MR60

Hi Hein,

Very much interested in your downard facing gimbal. Can you give more details how is it built ? Do you use APM's gimbal stabilization servo outputs or do you use standalone stabilization electronics ?

Do you have more picture of it ?

thx

• 100KM

Sorry Huges, only saw this now. Yes, I'm using the APM's output to stabilise the gimbal, works really well. It's just a laser cut design.

• Hi Hein du Plessis,

Thank you so so much for your input I appreciate your support so much! I will start then with configuration according to your input and definitely I will post and report the results. Let us share and exchange experiences and make some improvement together then. Thank you again

best regards,

Rai

This reply was deleted.