Replies

• This would be awesome

• I am hoping to generate interest with someone that has the skills to either share it as, oh god I'm old, the Windows equivalent of a dos batch file or embedded into the ground control station.
    • @Bruce,
      @Jose,

"
      At the beginning of this year DJI will discontinue their PC mission planning software Ground Station due to Google discontinuing their Google Earth API.
      "

We need to move to another source of 3D Earth data

==
      https://developers.google.com/earth/

alternatives to Google Earth API

http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/130910/google-earth-plugin-d...

Google Developers
  • @Bruce,

10+ years ago I was developing gold simulator hardware to build real golf simulator: software part from Microsoft and hardware part to calculate golf ball's speed and heading.

I was looking for PLC solution.

Today golf ball tracker is offered as a stand-alone solution.

PLC is not my world since I live in IT sector , R&D Fabrication Lab, global technology challenges by global vips.

10+ years ago I have joined Nokia Maemo - world's first Inteernet tablet project (Linux Debian based) to learn how to build 2D and 3D car navigation.

Maemo tablet was WiFi, Bluetooth enabled so Google Map tiles were pre-cached to work off-line why walking in the forest at night with GPS bluetooth unit.

Audi and others started to developed that time 3D navigation based on maps provided by Navteq.

Internet was not for free and 3G Internet was charged a lot of money.

Today with all wireless Internet (3G/LTE ) charged flat rate

you can easily install Google Earth on your smartphone, tablet, enable GPS (geolocalization) and Google Earth can start to work for you on-line.

I have to go back to remote control of Google Earth to tell you how to switch to landspace mode and how to control zoom-in/ zoom-out and heading.

So in theory your Flight Simulator can work for your car and your car icon can be seen to overlay Google Earth.

On Android tablet Google Earth opens as an application and numbeer of features is limited (layers, opening of your KML file on-line)

but with Windows10 laptop in your car you get all Google Earth's sophisticated tools and features enabled + GPS tracking enabled.

LTE modem should work for you since 3G modem is to slow.

You can use your LTE smartphone to tether Internet to your tablet via WiFi.

On tablet, in Windows10 environment you can open Google Earth in web browser

since Google Earth plugin for default web browser is supported.

Since default browser supports HTML5.0

you can download basic examples of HTML5.0

and open Google Earth on 1st layer

and open Flight Navigator on 2nd layer

and 1st layer gets updated if you drive your car (GPS location is updated real-time)

and 2nd transparent layer can read GPS data, time, speed, draw your car's track and more since Javascript code examples are free to download.

You can do even more with Arduino and your PLC controllers

to let GPS to control servo via Arduino and PLC, switch high beam on/off automatic , test lane departure alert and more and more great things.

• This is looking simpler and simmer as you explain more and more.

So far it looks like this?

Drone --> mavlink --> gcs --> Google.

From what I can understand , Google generates its own hud and can just run as a standalone.
  • @Bruce,

you don't need programming skills, just follow examples

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OpenLayers_Dynamic_KML

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Google+Earth+dynamic+layer&...

since you can overlay KML on Google Earth
    you can design KML as a HUD transparent overlay
    updating KML HUD layer you have built just another Flight Simulator ;)

Google Earth can be controlled by wireless controller (bluetooth)
    so your script can simulate movements of the BT controller in 3D space
    to get Google Earth imaginery in landscape mode to move and interact with you and KML file can be generated on-the-fly and updated with Google Earth
    to feastures HUD control updates to match GPS and your wireless BT controller.

Just few days and your excellent Google Earth's based Flight Controller,
    Flight Simulator is ready for presentation to the public ;)

Ok, you can develop HTML5.0 code to feature 2 layers:
    1 for Google Earth
    2 transparent overlay for HUD, instruments data, GPS and more
    • Again I must thank you for giving me what should be the tools and example code for what I am trying to do.

Sadly I don't speak those languages.
      I can do relay logic, logic gates, Boolean, ladder, state machine, machine code, sequencer, dos, and basic. One machine I had even used a pneumatic sequencer.

HTML and c++ is beyond my abilities.

https://www.slideshare.net/mobile/haki517/plc-programming
      That gives a pretty good understanding of my knowledge.

What I have found in the gcs for ardupilot is where to select a video feed for the existing hud, but I can't find where it sends the parsed data out to slave machines even though the documentation shows it can.
      Looking through the code you linked to I can see reference to Lat and long but can't decypher alt and hdg. These are the data I need to parse out to then feed into the Google.
      I also have no idea how to turn a "virtual window" into a video stream.

I fear my goals far exceed my abilities.
  • Google Earth has support for flight simulator in landscape view.

You can script landscape view to update to your geolocation in real-time.

Google Earth comes with grid layer and landscape view can be processed into synthetic view since Z-dimension can be extracted and map tiles projected can be removed.

Google Earth's based synthetic view in landscape mode can be generated as a background to mission planer or ground control station transparent layer.

Let me check if dynamic overlay to Google Earth is supported.

• https://support.google.com/earth/answer/148091?hl=en

• Thanks heaps for this.
      It is exactly what I was looking for, with extras I couldn't have thought of with throttle and flaps etc.

Sadly it is beyond my programming skills to even understand how to impliement this.
      (Yea, OK. It's simple to parse out the desired data and feed it into the flight sim/Google pro)

Has anyone done this?
This reply was deleted.