Pixhawk Boat Project for Large Area Mapping

The purpose of this project is to log sonar data of inland waters in order to increase the database of the GoFree Insight Genesis Social Map.

Craft Requirements:

1. Light Easy to Transport

2. Stable

3. Capable of speeds up to 10mph

4. Capable of running up to 10hrs non stop

5. Autonomous

6. Monitor progress remotely

7. Highly Visible (safety)

Project Progress:

Used the off-cuts of some old SurfSkis from a previous project to create a 2.9 meter trimaran design

Has a small enclosed console (removable for easy transport) to hold battery and electronics

3691288991?profile=original

Sonar logging is done with a Lowrance Elite7 CHIRP with a Airmar P66 transducer

Powered by a Yamaha 2hp 2-stroke outboard

Steering servo is via a vehicle wiper motor for torque using an old servo motor for potentiometer and output to a H-Bridge L298N.

Throttle is controlled by a heavy duty servo built  into the motor directly above the carb.

Radio - Spektrum DX6i DSM (old)

Receiver - Spektrum AR6200 with Satellite

Up to this point the craft goes pretty well while being controlled directly with the radio as can be seen in this video - 

AutoPilot Progress:

Or should I say "lack thereof" as I am now in 'unchartered territory' and the cry for "HELP!" echoes across this board for assistance.

3691289019?profile=original

3691289062?profile=original

Setup:

Pixhawk PX4

Pixhawk Power module

Switch

Buzzer

GPS/Compass

External LED/USB

I2C extension bus

433MHZ Telemetry with 2.5DB Antenna

Receiver - Spektrum AR6200 satellite

Mission Planner (Laptop)

Pixhawk Main Outputs - #3 = rudder / #4 = throttle

Progress - 

Connected Pixhawk to Mission Planner 

Updated firmware

Calibrated Acc, Mag, Trans etc.

Completed Wizard - all green except for Arming of Autopilot

That is where I am now stuck.

Where do I go from here?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The track is a bit wobbly and had a problem with range in the beginning so it kept going into HOLD Mode.  These are two issues I need to work out.  Any ideas guys?

Still better than anything I have done driving it out on the boat though.

This track is just over 13km long and was achieved in 1 hour and 3 minutes and used 1.2 litres of fuel.

3702224014?profile=original

Was able to make a contribution to GoFREE on this first pass

3702223908?profile=originalProgress on this dam to date ...

3702224040?profile=original

• John,  It would probably be best to use the main receiver plus a satellite receiver for range.  You should be able to change FS_ACTION to a mode that will go into hold in manual but if you are in auto it will complete the mission.

The weaving may be the NAVL1_PERIOD.  Try raising it.  Or maybe the STEER2SRV P and I need adjusting.

It seems to turn right better than left for some reason.

Regards,

David R. Boulanger

• David, 

Yes, that did the trick with the FailSafe, thank you.

I will have to play around with the STEER2SRV P and I values, but P was definitely too low at 1.8.

Yes, it turns beautifully to starboard, but port is very erratic.

Keep you posted.

Thank you

• Good!!  I'm thinking about getting a Elite 4 Chirp.  Seems to be able to do the Insight Genesis thing.  Screen is small but I have no use for a screen.  Any comment on the Elite 4?

Regards,

David R. Boulanger

• Great little unit, has the same vertical resolution as the HDS9 Touch Gen3.

The Elite is now replaced by the Hook, and has a slightly brighter screen and faster processor.

• Thanks John,  Just ordered one.  Your P is probably way to low.  My I term is 1/10th of my P.  You may find that the NAVL1 is a very important parameter with boats.  My NAVL1 is 14 I think.

Regards,

David R. Boulanger

• Got to do my first full auto test yesterday, BIG thank you to Dave Boulanger ...

• I am so happy - at last!

Now all I need to do is work out how to start the mission in Mission Planner. LOL :-)

• Go to Ardupilot.org.  Read the Rover manual.  Then read it again.  After a few days repeat reading.  Rover 3.0 plus Mission Planner can do a great deal.  Glad your making progress.

Regards,

David R. Boulanger

ArduPilot Open Source Autopilot
      The most advanced open source autopilot for use by both professionals and hobbyist. Supports multi-copters, planes, rovers, boats, helicopters, ante…
    • I have read the Rover Control Modes a number of times, but I cannot find where to switch modes with my Spectrum DX6i.

I have been flipping all the switches and nothing happens.

This reply was deleted.