Powering ROV from topside

Hi everyone.

Whats yout thoughts on most efficent way to power ROV from topside.

Max Demands are pretty high current wise, 6x25amps@16v for thrusters only+lights+camera+control+some spare for toolings.

We are thinking about 300 V dc@15amps that we could sent thru 6mm2 cable, b

ut that seems allot to play with...

p.s. teather will be around 120m long.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Tom!

Once again thank for fast and detailed reply!

I already saw this solution on your post, but this just adds complicity to already complicated subject, we would rather go with off the shell power supply and be done with it...

Can you maybe give me some thought about this (or anyone else)

Yesterday i was reading V8 M500 ROV Operation Manual) and they state this:

"For the V8 M500, the PU converts 170–265 VAC mains supply to 300VDC, which is led through the umbilical to the ROV, where it is used directly for thrusters, but converted to 24 VDC for peripheral equipment.

The PU provides a consistent voltage with a maximum current of 11A, allowing the ROV to utilize more than 3kW of power if required."

And under umbilical the say:

"Table 8.2. Umbilical
      Diameter 16mm
      length Up to 600m

Tether Power: 2x 1.5 mm2 copper
      Data communication: single mode optical fibre
      Shield: metallized polyester with copper drain wire"

So they are sending 300V DC@11A over 600m tether thru 2x1.5mm2? That just seems impossible...

• Admin

@Vedran,

Yes, that will work as the commercial ROVs use the higher voltage.

Will you use an AC generator on the boat to provide the mains power?

Just remember you will be generating a small amount of heat in the WTC when converting the 300 vdc to a useable level assuming you will be using a switching down converter.

The MATE competition uses 48 vdc and seems to do all right, but they have a limited tether length.

Regards,

Tom C AVD

This reply was deleted.