Binding Transmitter to Pixhawk

I'm waiting for a reply back from 3DR with an answer, but in the meantime I figure I'll start this thread and post the answer when I hear something back from them or you guys, seeing how I searched for 6 hours last night trying to find an answer and could not.  Maybe this will help someone in the future.

I received my 3DR Y6B "RTF" kit yesterday with all options including Spektrum Dx7s radio preconfigured for the Y6.  Right out of the box, the radio is not bound to the Pixhawk apparently, it doesn't seem to do anything.  RTF...yeah.

I followed the steps in their pathetic 4 page Quick Start pamphlet that is all there is in the kit to go by, and it doesn't even mention holding down the red flashing Safety Button to ready the copter for arming. (I found that step later online...I thought that was just an LED light)  So I charge the battery, attach the props, turn on Tx, plug in battery, Pixhawk beeps and flashes and goes to blue steady flash (indoors, no GPS) on the main/big LED light.  The Safety Button is blinking 4 times rapidly, then pause, repeat.  I don't know what that means since it's not mentioned anywhere on their site or in the searches I did on here, ardupilot.com, Google, and Youtube.  I press and hold the Safety Button and it goes solid red.  Press the left stick down/right....nothing.  Radio is in Stabilize Mode, no GPS required.

I downloaded APM Mission Planner 2, Mission Planner, and QGroundControl, and none of them have a Receiver Binding or Synchronizing section when connected to the Pixhawk, which it does successfully connect.  The Flight Data screen shows orientation of the Y6 correctly.  There is a "Calibration" section in each software, where you are supposed to be able to see the inputs from your controller, but nothing moves on the screen when I move the sticks on the controller since I assume it is not bound to the Pixhawk from all I can tell.

Of note is the fact that this system is using the DSMx Spektrum satellite Rx.  In some pictures I see a light is supposed to be illuminated on that, but on mine there is no light illuminated on the unit.  The plugs are connected properly.

There is what I assumed was a Bind Plug taped to the bottom of the Y6 chassis, but since there are no instructions included with this alarmingly complex kit, I have no idea what that plug or the other plug (small power lead) are that are taped to the bottom of the chassis.  From what I read after searching all night, apparently binding to the Tx is handled in software though, so maybe that plug is something else. I tried using the included bind plug on it with no success.

If you guys have any advice, I'm all ears.  Looking forward to getting off the ground with my READY TO FLY Y6 eventually.  Thanks!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I didn't take the props off, it doesn't spin the motors up so that's just an overly-cautious safety precaution thing.  In APM Planner 2, if you have the Y6 connected successfully, you should be about to go to "Initial Setup" tab, and there should be an "RC Calibration" section on the left.  You need to go through that calibration process so your radio travel triggers the motor startup process I think.

Like you say, this should be done at the factory so your "Ready To Fly" kit is actually "Ready To Fly" when you get it.  :/

• I guess I shouldn't have assumed the rtf came calibrated. Lots to learn!
    • I'm having the same problem. I followed the steps above to re-bind, and I have solid LED on the satellite rx now. Red safety button is solid red. Main led flashing green. No response with left stick bottom right. Haven't calibrated it yet , but not seeing anything in apm for Mac where that would be done. Any help would be appreciated! Can't wait to get this baby in the air!
    • This is the problem with dropping a standard manual, and dumping customers into forums for basic instructions like binding.  You guys are about to get inundated with those of us who are buying into their "Ready To Fly" claims.  The community should consider at the very least, coming together and making a BRIEF online owner's manual for your own sake.

Ben, are you trying to arm the motors in Stabilize mode?  If you're trying in Loiter mode like I was, you have to have more than the initial GPS lock/green flashing main LED.  It needs several satellites locked in, takes several minutes and requires at least semi-clear skies.  You should be able to spin them up in Stabilize mode though without any GPS lock.

• Problem Solved!

Nigel Brown, you are my man.  Took a little fiddling to power the Receiver that came in the box, had to use a small Lipo (11.1v) with the little red 2-pin plug, plugged into any of the free 3-pin receptors. (Black/negative on top, red/positive in middle)

After binding, now the DSMx satellite module has a solid orange light.  At first the Pixhawk was giving a double yellow flash on the big status LED.  Hooked it up to APM Mission Planner and got the message on Flight Data screen that RC was not calibrated.  Went to Controller Calibration, finally the values were moving!  Went through the calibration process, blue flashing light on Pixhawk now. (indoors, no GPS)  Disconnect, power down, power up Y6 with main battery, all good, hold down red flashing Safety Switch, (4 flashes then pause repeat is apparently Status OK/Unarmed) hold throttle down/right, motors power up for the first time.  Yay!

Thanks again Nigel.  Hopefully this will save the next person the headache.  Although I still feel there should be a manual, at least online, with this info.  On to your other reply in a bit...

• Hey Darryl

I am posting this in case anyone reads this thread and tries this solution

Just re-read your message. 11.1v is too much for your receiver. From memory a spektrum receiver will operate between 3.5 and 9.6v so 11.1 you risk damage to your receiver. Better to use a battery pack with - say 4 1.5v AA batteries.

But sounds like you didn't have that problem.

NB

• I guess because it wasn't on there long, and the battery had not been fully charged from the RTF kit, it was quick/low enough not to cause damage.  I'll keep that in mind next time if needed though, thank you.

• Good news! - best of luck with your test flights

NB

This reply was deleted.