Binding Transmitter to Pixhawk

I'm waiting for a reply back from 3DR with an answer, but in the meantime I figure I'll start this thread and post the answer when I hear something back from them or you guys, seeing how I searched for 6 hours last night trying to find an answer and could not.  Maybe this will help someone in the future.

I received my 3DR Y6B "RTF" kit yesterday with all options including Spektrum Dx7s radio preconfigured for the Y6.  Right out of the box, the radio is not bound to the Pixhawk apparently, it doesn't seem to do anything.  RTF...yeah.

I followed the steps in their pathetic 4 page Quick Start pamphlet that is all there is in the kit to go by, and it doesn't even mention holding down the red flashing Safety Button to ready the copter for arming. (I found that step later online...I thought that was just an LED light)  So I charge the battery, attach the props, turn on Tx, plug in battery, Pixhawk beeps and flashes and goes to blue steady flash (indoors, no GPS) on the main/big LED light.  The Safety Button is blinking 4 times rapidly, then pause, repeat.  I don't know what that means since it's not mentioned anywhere on their site or in the searches I did on here, ardupilot.com, Google, and Youtube.  I press and hold the Safety Button and it goes solid red.  Press the left stick down/right....nothing.  Radio is in Stabilize Mode, no GPS required.

I downloaded APM Mission Planner 2, Mission Planner, and QGroundControl, and none of them have a Receiver Binding or Synchronizing section when connected to the Pixhawk, which it does successfully connect.  The Flight Data screen shows orientation of the Y6 correctly.  There is a "Calibration" section in each software, where you are supposed to be able to see the inputs from your controller, but nothing moves on the screen when I move the sticks on the controller since I assume it is not bound to the Pixhawk from all I can tell.

Of note is the fact that this system is using the DSMx Spektrum satellite Rx.  In some pictures I see a light is supposed to be illuminated on that, but on mine there is no light illuminated on the unit.  The plugs are connected properly.

There is what I assumed was a Bind Plug taped to the bottom of the Y6 chassis, but since there are no instructions included with this alarmingly complex kit, I have no idea what that plug or the other plug (small power lead) are that are taped to the bottom of the chassis.  From what I read after searching all night, apparently binding to the Tx is handled in software though, so maybe that plug is something else. I tried using the included bind plug on it with no success.

If you guys have any advice, I'm all ears.  Looking forward to getting off the ground with my READY TO FLY Y6 eventually.  Thanks!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 3701703261?profile=originalThis is what I'm seeing in Planner when I have the Y6 powered and safety button solid red. Receiver is bound. The motors spun when doing ESC calibration. I've loaded the firmware on the pixhawk. Connected to 3dr radio. I still can't get the calibration wizards to load in planner or for the motors to respond to the transmitter, in stabilize mode. Flashing green on the pixhawk main LED. Everything is charged, powered and bound, but no love, yet. 

• That's the screen I see when it's NOT connected.  I can't see your icon in the upper right, but does it say Connected or Disconnected?

• It says connected. 

• Well it's not communicating with Pixhawk for some reason.  That whole left column will populate with menus when it connects successfully.  I wish I could help more...maybe someone else will chime in.

• Darryl

Just a quick word on your message:

We have all experienced frustrations with RTF, ATF, Builds etc.. and it is easy to feel aggrieved with the manufacturer. However 3DR (Chris Anderson) established this forum as the secondary point of help and I have to say, it is a brilliant tool to learn and  

Your primary point of help should be to refer to copter.ardupilot.com  There is HEAPS of excellent information in there. It is the primary manual / instructions that you should be using. 

Good luck and keep in touch - we are all happy to help you with any issues you might strike.

• It sounds like a simple fix.

The transmitter is not bound to the receiver.

I expect that the copter has a Dx Satellite receiver connected directly to the Pixhawk. The will have boud the Tx and Sat Rx in the factory but it sounds like it has lost its bind.

From memory, here's how to fix:

• Connect the Satellite receiver to the Spectrum Dx receiver (probably in the box the RTF cam with as it is not needed if you are using Pixhawk)
    • Power up the receiver,
    • Follow the bind instructions so that the Receiver and Satellite Receiver are both bound,
    • Disconnect the Satellite Receiver from the Receiver
    • Connect the Satellite Receiver to the Pixhawk
    • Put the Receiver back in the box - (you don't need it)

Let me know if that works for you.

• So, I'm getting good communication between the 3dr radio on my mac and the remote on the copter, but i still don't see any of the initial setup options on the left side bar besides install firmware and 3dr radios.
    • I don't see RC calibration in Planner. Maybe that's part of my problem. Got documentation for apm planner 2?
    • APM:Planner 2 documentation: http://planner2.ardupilot.com/

• I'm in stabilize mode, yes. Did you remove the props to calibrate? Seems incongruous that the first step in the manual is put the props on, if you need to calibrate with them off first. But I'm a total n00b, so I'm not surprised that I'm doing things out of order.
This reply was deleted.