Lifting 900g with 3DR Y6

Hi,

My first post here. I've been searching the forum for info on this, sorry if I've missed something.

I have a 3DR Y6 2013 DIY [1] that I've been flying for about a month, very happy with it so far. When I bought it I expected (naively) that I'd be able to put my Sony NEX-5T on it, but quickly realized that it is way too heavy. My flight times are pretty low already without any additional load. The camera and a light 2-axis gimbal [2] is 900g.

- Does anyone have experience lifting a ~900g camera/gimbal rig with the 3DR Y6, with decent flight times?

- If, what motors, props and battery are you using? I am looking at motors popular with the Tarot 680 [3], would these be suitable for the Y6? They provide 580 g of thrust at 50% throttle (4S, APC 11x4.7).  

- Is it at all possible to fit a gimbal this size under the 3DR Y6? (With tall landing gear of course.)

Would it be easier and more efficient to get a bigger flat hexa frame instead, as I may end up replacing many of my current parts anyway? Many NEX gimbals seem to be built to fit Tarot frames, and the frames have high clearance and proper gimbal mounts.

Any advice appreciated!

[1] APM 2.6, 850kv motors [1], 20A ESC, 3S 5000mA, 'B' motor config. http://www.unmannedtechshop.co.uk/hexacopter-motor-esc-combo.html

[2] Thinking about this one: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__51513__ACK_Pro_Mid_Sized_Ball_Bearing_Brushless_Gimbal_With_Turnigy_4008_Motors_NEX5_And_GF3_Sized_.html

[3] http://www.foxtechfpv.com/sunnysky-v350816-700kv-motor-p-860.html

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Has anyone experimented with 3 blade props?

• Looking at the motors suggested they would be much better, however above 11" you will need to extend arms

• My old config with 3S and 1000kV motors and 11x45 props was capable of lifting a NEX camera with a simple 200g gimbal. It was a bit under powered (loitered at 75%), but it was okay. Check this out:360cities it was done with 3DR Y6 and NEX5N.

Now I've switched to a 650kV motors, 12x6 props and 4S battery to lift a heavier gimbal.  

13752619525_88f7db49e1_z_d.jpg

False Creek, Vancouver 360 Panorama | 360Cities
    360° panorama photo from Canada by Andrei Narkevitch. 80 meters above False Creek in Vancouver
    • Thank you, that's good news!

What motors are you using now, the 650 ones? What is the weight including camera and battery?

That Vancouver picture is great.

• thanks!

total weight is 2.7kg, flight time is 10 minutes (5a/h 4S battery, monitor is set to 3.4V per cell). It loiters at 55-60% of thrust, so I'm thinking to add a second 5a/h battery.

To fit 12" props I had to replace the landing gear. It can fit props up to 13" now.

3702660050?profile=original

• That is very cool, similar to what I am considering.

Are those the 3525 Multistar motors? Are you happy with them?

• I've seen that landing gear before. Where did you get them?

Wow, I opened the pic......you're really loaded for bear. What's that capacitor for on the top (just below the FC) ?  I was thinking about 3d printing that vibration damper you have, but I don't think it was fitted for the Pixhawk. Someone was going to update it; wonder if he did.

And where is the GPS mounted?

• Had been running a DIY Y6 and the 850kv motors, 10" to and 11 bottom... Started this thread

http://diydrones.com/group/arducopter-y6-owners-group/forum/topics/...

Have not found a perfect setup however I will suggest to put a higher KV motor on the bottom , doing that now to all my coaxial designs... And actually running a smaller prop on the bottom... 

• Interesting. What motors are you using?

What would the higher KV bottom motor do? I'm very new to the mechanics of multirotors... Wouldn't a smaller prop get "caught" under the wash of the top one?

Does it give you more thrust or longer flight?

• I have found so far that no matter what the bottom prop gets caught it prop wash... After watching Rob Leverbre(sp?) Talk from Drone con and running some calculations I felt that the acceleration of the air below had to happen or I am just crashing air and creating turbulence with two motors turning the props at the same speed in the opposite twisting direction... 

So I have tried with using 1000kv on the bottom, had them on the bench with the 850 on top... So far I have seen no performance drops, and have dropped total amp draw lower... I have yet to see a efficiency gain of significance... However it seems better than the original... 

I plan to modify code to account for the differnt motors and props but wanted to start somewhere 

This reply was deleted.