APM 2.5+ top vs side entry on quadcopter

I am setting up a DJI F450 quadcopter with APM and was wondering if there are tradeoffs for using the top entry APM configuration vs the side entry APM configuration for quadcopters. I see almost all of the quadcopters using the top entry APM but it would seem that the side entry would allow shorter cables to the receiver and the ESC's. Is there a technical reason for using the top entry?

Greg McHugh

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks for the inputs. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something about using the side entry configuration. Looks like it is the way to go.

• I have a F550 and the Side option is the only alternate if you want to put the APM underneath the top frame. On the F550 I find that the side pins on the APM are better even if you put the APM on the top. It makes for a clearner install...

• Developer

I agree that side-entry is better..i started with top entry for my early APM 2.5s but now i do them all as side.

• Side entry is better. Esc and receiver cables are easier to manage.

• Hi Greg.  I chose the top entry and am using the F450.  Here's some pics to help with your decision.  I don't use any of the aux ports at the moment so i suspect if I choose to in the future, it might be a bit frustrating.

F450-APM Side View.zip

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3692634143?profile=original
  • I got 450 knock-off from HobbyKing and I went with side entry exactly for reasons that you mentioned. The cables are shorter and (I believe) it makes for cleaner setup ...
  • I have a DJI450 with the top entry... and while it works, I'd prefer to have side entry.  It would make it easier to put the RX where I'd like without lots of cable loops and stuff.

This reply was deleted.