Arducopter weird issues

Hi you all.

I'm new to arducopter drones, and drones at all..

I've built a Quad, using APM 2.8 Board (non-3DR), M8N Gps, 470kv 24p motors, 15x5,5 CF props, and tarot 650 CF frame, all running on 4s 10.000mah and turnigy 30A Plush ESC.

In the beggining all worked fine, i'm started to learn how to pilot the Quad, using stabilize and loiter. obviously loiter resulted more attractive because was hard to me maintain altitude when making horizontal displacement in stabilize..

some day the quad started to toiletbowl and i got scared and did everything wrong and crashed at high speed to a 25 meters tree, cutted off some branches, and fall down. Result: 1 broken arm, 2 wasted props, and complete landing gear destruction. apm and gps was scratched too.

recently i fixed the aircraft, and this time I DID COMPASSMOT (not done before!), to avoid toiletbowling. I mounted APM with 4 3M slow response foam earplugs in a double plate, and sticked to APM and frame with double-doublesided foam tape.

In stabilize is rock solid, but alt hold and loiter works weird.....

in loiter, when you let the quad hovering, it twitches the throttle, like an angry bee, i don't know how to explain. it's like the quad stops and re-run motors for a fraction of a second, and looses about 2 or 3 inches of altitude and go up again. its like a glitch. I tried to fly loiter anyway, was making squares about 2 meters above ground to practice, and suddenly... quad rocketed up in the sky... this time i was ready, and switched to stabilize. the quad started to fall, and with a throttle punch it leveled again, but at an altitude i never used it... so i decided to switch to LAND mode, and the quad suicided itself drifting away and descending too quick. this time: 2 more props wasted, and a crack in the lower main plate. gps stand was destroyed as usual..

i spended much money to start my aerial filming project, and i do not trust this aircraft to hang a professional camera on it. i thought it will be like a phantom, but bigger, nicer and stronger, capable of carrying a full dslr camera. But it is only a big and dangerous machine, and i'm hating it so hard.

i will leave you the last flight logs. if somebody with experience and expertise give me a hand and analyzes my logs, i will thank you very much.

i can only think i have a vibration issue, so i ordered a moongel pad to reinforce damping.

The big problem is i'm in Argentina, and any replacement part or upgrade takes a month to arrive, and a ton of paperwork to claim it in customs..

looking forward to fix this, and sorry for my neanderthal english.

Juan.

2016-03-20 19-10-00.bin

2016-03-20 18-39-12.bin

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• @Juan,

I really don't know what is your problem.

Your log file charts should now be verified against telemetry log file

to get full cause for your problems.

This is a standard procedure.

Since you don't show an intention to attach your telemetry log file for analysis, how can I help you.

@Cala is fully aware of the log file vs. telemetry log crash study procedure.

• no telemetry logs since i was using droid planner on my cellphone as ground station. if droid planner saves logs of telemetry data received, i'm not aware.

• Cala was so nice to provide you with detailed answer

How to find Tlogs and see your track in Tower

Posted by Cala on May 11, 2015 at 4:51pm in Tower (Droidplanner)

http://diydrones.com/group/tower-droidplanner/forum/topics/how-to-f...

DroidPlanner changed its name to Tower

http://diydrones.com/group/tower-droidplanner

• you got it

log_usb_2016_03_27_18_11_37.tlog

• He haven´t idea.

• Hi

I am also facing problem with lotier mode my quad moves up and down and slowly loss altitude 

• Hello!

Today i'd make some progress. i managed to have 2 altHold flights, both very stable and easily controllable. 

I did the on-flight Rate P roll & pich tunning, using a knob on the Tx. I got comfortable with the exact point where, if you do a repentine roll request, and immediately release the stick, te copter levels itself without "bouncing" in the air. now the quad flies like hanging from a thread :D

vibrations decreased a bit on X & Y, by adding weight (strapped radio Rx and GPS/Compass module to it)

Cala told me the vibs are because of a workaround repair in the airframe. an arm was broken in a big crash and i'm waiting for the repacement (1 month average shipping time to here....) meanwhile, i displaced the motor mounts about 5cm to center, to make all the same lenght of the broken one. this crappy repair makes the propellers spin with only 1cm clearance between each other, and slightly over the center plate. i'm using 15"x5,5 props. maybe, this is making turbulence and messing all up.

both flights ended in light crash. the first one was due to depleted battery. so i set a battery failsafe at 13v (i'm on 4S) to land the aircraft.

second flight also ended on crash. battery failsafe was triggered at 13v, and copter suddenly outed high throttle,but anyway descended sideways too fast and hit the gruond. if that is the land manouver, it should be called autokill_land! just kidding, surely there is a tune to do, to get a soft and nice landing.

by now, i'm feeling comfortable with althold, the new P rates are awesome, there is a big difference!

the only thing left to go for autotune, is that creepy automatic landing. there is any way to get it working now? or LAND mode is a further step?

in both flights, i was using only one battery (Zippy 4S 5000mAh 20C), and only charged to storage level. the copter is intended to flight with 2 of these batteries, but since i was only tunning things, i didn't charged it to full capacity (my mistake, i know), and mounted them one by one.

logs are attached . if anyone can take a look and give me advise i will tank you.

PD: in one of the crashes, props cutted off RC Rx antenna, and a very nice repair/mod was done. i will upload the process step by step in another post, with pics, so anyone who cuts its antenna know how to repair and enhace the Rx.:)

2016-03-26 18-09-40.bin

2016-03-26 18-39-14.bin

• Congrats Juan, but fly with full charged batts,

If you are going to fly with two batteries you have to tune with the two batteries, weigth change tunning,

buy a little batt alarm, it's very usefull with APM,

recalibrate your compass if you move it and verify that works well,

your vibes looks nice.

• Hi everybody..

Today i did an ESC calibration (all at once method) and balanced propellers. After that, i did a test flight, and the results are strange... the pulsating behavior when in althold mode diminished a bit, but still there. in the other hand, vibrations are worse! Z axis is totally fu**ed up!

here you got my logs, and some graphs for lazy ones who still want to help :)

3702211780?profile=original

3702211828?profile=original

cheers

2016-03-24 18-29-08.bin

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3702211786?profile=original
    • T3

Juan,

I don't know why your z acceleration changed, but it is still within acceptable limits.  If it flies fine in stabilize but poorly in alt hold, that means you need to tune throttle.  See this page for help tuning.  Like Darius said, you could also seek out an experienced user to help you tune.

I wouldn't bother talking to manufacturers.  Multirotor hardware is all sold as is, with no guarantees of compatibility.  And almost zero parts will list resonant frequency (which is not even your problem here, your problem is tuning.)  And Drone Certified (TM) is a term made up by Darius, it is not real.

Advanced Tuning — Copter documentation
This reply was deleted.