Flying ArduCopter with a single hand

Hi there new friends!

Let me begin by outlining my situation. Since birth I'm the lucky owner of a condition called hemiparesis. It means I am half paralyzed on my left side.

However I still want to be able to fly my ArduCopter. I know it can be done, I'm just here to ask all of you to think with me what's the best way.

I have a few ideas myself, but I'm missing some of the puzzle pieces to make this truly awesome.

The config so far:

ArduCoper is equipped with GPS, 3dr telemetry kit and APM 2.5. I have done a successful test flight (just a quick up and down) with a borrowed Spektrum 6-ch receiver and DX8 controller. So I have access to receivers and controllers as well.

1. Using a joystick

I came across a post on the internet saying in the Mission Planner you can use a joystick as input for the quad over telemetry. This is cool and easy I'm sure, but requires a laptop to be with you at all times. 

Then I stumbled upon the USB to PPM converter listed at Flytron. However it still seems you need a computer in between to control the quad. How can we make it less bulky and handheld?

2. Using a Wii nunchuck

From the same maker I discovered a way to do it via a Wii nunchuck. Very promising, however it needs the trainer port of the controller. I'm a bit reluctant to buy a €200 controller just for the training port, especially if I already have a telemetry kit that I feel could be up to the task...

3. Using the iPhly

It's a cradle built for the iPhone/Pod that allows you to control your quad via a 2.4Ghz TX module. Although I bought one already, the kit with TX module was nowhere to be found so I only have the cradle. And if I look for a replacement module I get dizzy of the choices. I don't know which one to choose!

I like the idea of a joystick because it is the closest to a full controller in terms of feeling and buttons (if you buy a good one). However I already bought the iPhly and maybe we can make this working already with the telemetry kit I bought?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Coen,

thankyou for pointing out the iPhly craddle, I didn't know.

Regarding the TX module, even if I'm not an R/C expert, I believe you shoud buy an TX/Rx couple; Tx to be installed on the drone connected to the flight controller, TX to be plugged into the craddle.

Just as an example from HK:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__14348__FrSky_FF_1_2_4Ghz...

If you want to use an already available RX you can buy a compatible TX and pair it to the RX.

Hope it helps.

enrico

This reply was deleted.