IRIS+ modifications

I have only had the IRIS+ for a few months but I thought I would share my modifications. I like to try to find the least expensive ways to do things.

First I used the Wilkera G2 gimbal for $75.00.with the Ilook+ camera for $150. since it has the 5.8 ghz transmitter built in. I also added the Walkiera camera trigger. Setting that up was all trial and error but it turns out only the command that works is DO_DIGICAM_CONTROL would trigger the camera once. All the other did it by distance, on an off again, all I wanted is it to start or stop and that is it. 

All that worked nice but  after getting a set of HeadPlay goggles I want OSD or on screen display. So I had to can the Walkiera and got a SJ4000 camera for $70 with a 600mw 5.8 ghz transmitter for $40. and the minimosd board for $15.00. Then I had to work out the kinks on it. All the blogs said to hook to TELEM2 but my 3DR telem. transmitter was on TELEM1. I found connecting to TEME1 did sort of work but not all of the data was there. Anyway after trying all of the different SR0XX, SR1XX and SR2XX settings that I found(And there was a lot) I still couldn't get all of the data fields to load like GPS was all zeros unless i started and connected to Mission Planner then it all worked. I could not find any other discussion about it, I had tried it all. So I made a switch in the TX line of the TELEM1 so that I could switch between having the the MinimOSD TX and the 3DR Telem TX going to the PIXHAWK and WALA all works great. I just have to change the switch if I want to connect to Mission Planner.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Developer

Ok, yes so the info not appearing on the OSD is a somewhat common problem.  It's because the OSD isn't telling the vehicle what data it wants (all MAVLink devices that want data from the vehicle should do this).  The way to fix it is, as you found out, to increase the appropriate SRX_ settings (where X is the telemetry port).

By the way, with Copter-3.3 you can enable extra MAVLink ports using the SERIALX_PROTOCOL parameter (where X can be 1,2,3 or 4).  It's now possible to move around pretty much all serial ports (Telemetry, GPS, FrSky telemetry, STorM32 gimbal, etc).

• Thanks for the reply Randy, If I may ask a question or two?

It is working fine now with the switch, I am very happy with that.

I would like IRIS to RTL when transmitter signal is lost but when I turn the radio off it just lands. I have checked all paramiters that have RTL or Land choices and they are all set to RTL? What am I doing wrong?

It seems my radio is different than the normal FlySky radio. It does not follow the manual at all, in fact it doesn't even have the option to set for  PLANE or COPTER  I just says IRIS.  I would like to know how to set some things in the transmitter like timer but when I do I get some odd things happen Any ideas?

• Developer

Greg,

I guess you've already looked through the radio failsafe wiki page and the failsafe response is set to RTL?  Also make sure you're WPNAV_RADIUS is set to 200 because this is used in the decision of whether to RTL or LAND (if the vehicle is very close to home it will Land even if the response is set to RTL.. "close" is defined as within the WPNAV_RADIUS which is a number in cm).

• Randy,

Yes I did but I didn't know about the WPNAV_RADIUS was involved. I just tested it about 10 meters away and it just landed. I will try it at a larger distance.

I flew IRIS with the telemetry switch and have some odd results. The OSD works great, all readouts filled and working but a few times it said it lost signal or something but it resumed right away. Then I noticed the display on the transmitter had different (wrong) readings for altitude and distance than the OSD? It was displaying a -45 meters for altitude prior to taking off and it maintained that error throughout the mission. I also could not make it drop in altitude while the mode was in loiter until I got back to the landing site.

Greg

Your comments are very helpful and appreciated, just let me know if your tied of them and I will quit.

Greg

This reply was deleted.