Newbie Questions

Hello!

My friend and I are just arriving to the forum in hopes of helping our fire department set up a UAV platform for HAZMAT scene surveys (and other applications). We're thinking about buying a pre-built HexaCopter and mounting a camera, for starters. We're looking for general thoughts, advice, and mentorship for a couple of noobs... That's PRIMARY!

One specific question we're pondering, however, is regarding the camera. What are the best setups out there? Is it worth investing in the Contour+2 for the GPS feature, or is the GoPro2 the way to go? Are you operating your cameras remotely? What about a live feed... is that even possible? 

Honestly... first post here and really just hoping to find some guidance and mentorship. Thanks so much for your time!

Jonathan

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ 

• Developer

Jonathan, there are many different cameras that you can use. GoPro and/or similar are all good to start with. Depending on what you need and want, like Jeff said you might need to have second pilot but usually that is not needed when running with GoPro style cameras. If you useArduCopter you can have automatic camera compensation with GoPro mount after that you just connect normal video transmitter to your GoPro camera and have video receiver on ground. Then rest is up to you on how you would like to display flight picture. You have choices of small LCD TV screen and/or video goggles.

But I would suggest to start first with normal Hexa copter setup that has GoPro mount then videos and other you can easily add after wards. One really great addoon on top of these is long range telemetry set that allows you to configure/fly/view your drone on your computer screen. 

ArduCopter Hexa KIT, Assembled & Tested Hexa
    R/C UAV and ArduCopter manufacturer and one stop shop. We make your FPV come true.
  • I would go with gopro2 just for the cost aspect.  You can also get live feed from the go pro using video transmitters.  The main issue you will run into is getting decent video in dark and night missions.  Remote camera operations usually require a seperate "pilot" and another camera operator.  That being said, this setup (seperate pilot/cam op) can be very beneficial considering the possible environments you will be flying in.

This reply was deleted.