Pixhawk and external compass, not compatible?

I'm trying to change the APM to a Pixhawk on my copter, I have a gps and external compass so I didn't ask for a combine one, I was reading instructions and see that says that ext compass isn't compatible with Pix but the two ones are 3.3? It's not possible to use? or I'm understanding something wrong? http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common-external-magnetometer-for-improved-performance/Any possibility to hack?.....if I have to wait 2-3 months to another unit arrives to give a try to my copter I'm going to have a nervous attack :(

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I'll see if I can do a bit of research get you back up to speed. Good luck!

• Many thank's

• Dear Cala, 

I believe you can fire up a magnetometer separately. You should be able to connect the MAG port from your Pixhawk to the magnetometer you have, (solder and voltage check!!!) and run the GPS calibration for the UBlox, and then the calibration for your magnetometer through the wizard. I have not checked it myself, as I don't have a magnetometer, but between the Wiki you linked us and http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common-installing-3dr-ublox-gps-co..., I see no problem. The diagram on the GPS page shows that you may want to use the Serial4/5 port. @Bonney the developer, can you confirm my fix? 

Thanks!

• BTW I am using my 3DR UBlox (TaoGlas) GPS for confirmation. I have been able to arm my copter without compass before. 

• Not compatible , the wiki is correct.
    2-3 months for what unit to arrive? I do not follow your post. Let us know what unit you are referring too and we can direct you where to purchase. There are hundreds of GPS/ Compass modules Pixhawk compatible available current day.
    • Glup!!, the most terrible is that I read that when I bougth that compass and forgot when I bougth the pix, only my oun culprit (silly woman), The problem is that I live in Argentine and our customer services give us only two chances to buy outside and I used the two, resellers here have many difficults to import products so not easy to find but not impossible, I'm going to see for some friend that travel and bring it to me or if someone have stock here.

I'm thinking if it possible to use the internal compass alone? until I take the time to find a good unit instead of buying the first that I find? I read about the M8n as better performance? 100% compatible?

• Developer
      You can use a 3.3V ext compass,,it's the same as the component in the combined compass/GPS module. You can't use the 3DR made one directly, maybe with a mod. I'll check for you,

You can use the onboard one if no external one present.
    • Many Thaaanks!!! Bill. I have a 3.3 compass, perhaps I can use as it? or I have to modified any other thing? wires order is the same as APM?

• Developer

Yep, the I2C port is the same as the APM, I just dug out my old external sensor (before they where integrated with the GPS) and it works as expected plugged into the i2c port on the pixhawk.  The sensor was like $3 on eBay ;)

• Yes, I have the sensor 3.3 and it was working with the APM but now give me, Error compass variance, I rotated as the same direction of pixhawk but the error is still there, I try to disable the internal one to check that is working well but is like not disable. The internal alone looks no error but I coudn't check outside yet, it's snowing.

This reply was deleted.