Test Stand Setup?

I've put together a test stand for my 450 class quadcopter running APM 2.6/Arducopter 3.2. After a recent crash where my quad suddenly fell out of the sky, I want to run some tests on the stand, keeping most variables the same as if it were in flight. I'm pretty sure the crash was due to battery cell failure but I want to run some tests on the stand using the same battery (which still balance charges okay).

My quad is zip tied solidly to the stand, i.e. it cannot move. This presents an apparent problem because the motors won't all run at the same speed in Stabilize flight mode. How can I achieve this kind of test? Do I need to attach the ship to a rod on a ball joint? I've seen a couple of videos on YouTube where people did this, but I would rather have my ship solidly mounted. Have any of you done this?

thanks

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Robert,

I am building wind tunnel for live testing drones.

In theory you can attach your ship tied to a ball joint, upside down, this is the way I experiment with drones (multi-copters) in wind tunnel.

• Please keep me posted!! A wind tunnel sounds really interesting!

• I made a test rig out of an old piece of plywood and some nylon rope.  Works like a charm when you want to test something without killing it.  See this youtube video.

video

• The problem with the ropes is I want the quad to remain fairly stable so I can take temperature readings of the motors and ESCs. I wonder how it would do with just one rope tied near the CG?

This reply was deleted.