ArduRover/Boat programmer needed

Hello,

I am looking for a programmer to add a feature to ArduRover or Arduboat and to refine it as my project is developed. The equipment to be used is Pixhawk with 3DR GPS/Compass module. The software is Missionplanner with the appropriate firmware. I am mostly interested in adding a specific feature that is controlled by the radio (activated by a radio switch).

If anyone is interested, please contact me so we can discuss the project in greater detail, discuss costs, and a tentative timetable.

Thank you

Sportjet

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Sportjet, it may be simpler than you think.  Dimension Engineering make some RC (PWM) controlled relays.  Set up the channel on your controller, configure the APM to pass it through, and plug in the relay.

If you need something more sophisticated than that, adding features to the APM firmware is certainly possible, but isn't for the feint hearted!  You can do whatever you like to YOUR local version, but having something rolled into the main software takes longer.  Keeping something local (I think) runs you into some problems with keeping up to date with other bug fixes.

One way a number of people have skinned this cat is by using a Raspberry Pi or BeagleBone to perform the extra functions by having the RPi or BB process the telemetry signal.  This gives you a COMPLETELY separate code base that's a lot more contained, and doesn't run the risk of breaking the main firmware. 

EDIT: Like the DroneKit API .... I should have read the other posts in more detail ...

The other advantage of that separate system, is that it can be CLOSED source software. If you modify the main APM code, you're obliged to release the modifications to the community. I can only assume, given that you're willing ot pay, that this is for a commercial product, so you may want to retain your IP.

• Mike,

you said:

"

You can do whatever you like to YOUR local version, but having something rolled into the main software takes longer.  Keeping something local (I think) runs you into some problems with keeping up to date with other bug fixes.

"

Local is local and local is good and the only option if you with to add new feature for personal not public use or the public is not interested to have this feature included.

you said

"

The other advantage of that separate system, is that it can be CLOSED source software. If you modify the main APM code, you're obliged to release the modifications to the community. I can only assume, given that you're willing ot pay, that this is for a commercial product, so you may want to retain your IP.

"

sorry Mike,

separate system can be either closed or open source

Local modification to the main API code is in no way under obligation to be released to the community ( read licence one day).

Never claim so to have Ardu server flooded with hundreds of minor modifications

to be read, processed, verified.

Linux is managed alike Bitcoin timeline.

Key developers generate block of code, sign  and publish from time to time.

Third party developers can develop modules to be included but cannot affect the main stream.

Pocket money offer has nothing to do with commercial product, alike Android apps.

Sometimes it takes months, years to get new feature added, so the request fee is

welcome under Linux community.

Better pay pocket money and have new feature added and published than get it never developed.

you said:

"

RC (PWM) controlled relays.  Set up the channel on your controller, configure the APM to pass it through, and plug in the relay."

Ok, relay is a device con trolled by logical operations,

On/ Off, Yes/ No and can't support extra sensors.

you said:

"

using a Raspberry Pi or BeagleBone to perform the extra functions by having the RPi or BB process the telemetry signal.  

"

Let me know your experience with RPi and BeagleBone

Can extra sensors be supported ?

thank you

• Developer

guys, ArduPilot is open to everyone.

Feel free to add as much features you like.

Go grab the code, modify it and compile it yourself.

Build ArduPilot with Windows

Build ArduPilot with Linux

To quote Richard Stallman:

"Free software is a matter of liberty, not price. To understand the concept, you should think of free as in free speech, not as in free beer."

A read through the developer documentation should bring you up to speed or at least give you some insights how things work from the development perspective.

Im keen to hear about the feature you like to be added.

Maybe someone is interested to tackle the task after reading about a use case.

Cheers

Linus

• Hi,

are you the genuine Linux Linus No.1 Keyperson ?

Since Ardu project is highly professional and sophisticated it looks like we need your guidance.

It looks like there is an open API scripting interface to let third parties to develop nice features.

My congratulations,

darius

• Developer

Hi Darius,

im not that person.

You might want to have a look at the DroneKit API.

Cant help much further, sorry.

Linus

DroneKit
      DroneKit makes it easy to create custom applications to control any vehicle powered by MAVLink. Best of all, it is open sourced and free for everyone…
  • Hi Darius,

I do not know much about how it all works. That is what I am trying to find out.

So...

1) Are you saying that this cannot be done? 

2) Are you saying that only a "first party" developer can do this?

3) Are you saying that trying to do this with Ardurover is not possible and that I should move on to another platform? Which one?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

Sportjet

• Thank you,

exactly the case.

We need to identify developers of Ardu software to get their opinion on addding new features and API offered.

So my question is -

who are developers of Ardu software projects and how to contact them via the groups  or email to ask them the above questions.

Linux, Android are both open source, free software products but I don't get Android 4.2.2 update for my tablet

so best choice is to buy a new Android 6.0 tablet.

In case of Linux, it takes months to get new hardware driver developed and offered on a free basis.

It may be the case, for security, safety reasons, Ardu software is closed and protected against third party add-ons, features.

Who knows for sure.

• OK then, who are those developers and how to contact them?

Anyone who has the slightest idea, please share the info?

Thank you

• Thanks Craig,

I am personally interested to implement TAWS into ARDU on my own,

implement more sensors - battery health, battery temp, battery status,

wind speed, wind direction sensors,

and 10 more sensors ;)

Tell me if the processor is fast enough to process extra requests, callbacks, algorithms ?

And finally , pls tell me if Developer Linus is the genuine Linus Linux developer.

And finally No.2, tell me how to enable private messaging, as in your case.

thanks,

darius

manta103g@gmail.com

This reply was deleted.