Contributing to giving sight to AV's

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to design and build an "open source" radar system. The premise is that while we have the hacked Neato and the RoboPeak system, I've not found anything for outdoor use. So I've built this scanner pictured below.

3691167470?profile=original

The parts list so far is

1) Hobbypower BGM5208-200T-12 HS Brushless Gimbal Motor

2) AlexMos 8 bit controller

3) Arduino Uno

4) Sparkfun Line follower (as a simple rotary encoder)

5) 12vdc power supply

The design criteria is that no special tools (lathe, mill, tap & die) are required. All parts shall be easily available from reputable sources. From this I hope more people will build one and begin to give real sight to their AV.

My question is how to best promote this project and share files like these two versions for the Lightware SF02 and Lidar Light units I made with Solidworks.

3691167506?profile=original3691167374?profile=original

I'm a real NOOB with Github and blogs, so any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

RoboBill

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Ovidiu,

I'm still hoping to get the docs together. I'm having problems locating the Fritzing part for the BaseCam controller and making the Fritz part looks like a pain. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks

RoboBill

• Bill,

Great project! I was thinking of doing something like this for my senior design project, with the idea of mounting it to my quadcopter for some SLAM applications. I would also be very interested in learning more about your setup. I'll be following closely.

Thanks,

Kieran 

• Hi Kieran,

Welcome. While I gather the Fritzing documentation together, are there any questions you have? I'm hoping the more info put up here, the easier it will be for SLAM projects like yours to "get off the ground". 

Does your quadcopter use the pixhawk controller? My rover does. What has me completely baffled is how to integrate this scanner with the pixhawk or maybe the ErleBrain. 

RoboBill

• RoboBill,

Well my quadcopter did use a pixhawk, but unfortunately my shanty college garage burned down this weekend and I lost my copter and pretty much all my possessions save a trash bag of clothes. Luckily no one was hurt and its just 'stuff'. 

However, I interviewed for a job yesterday and this is something they are very interested in implementing, so I plan on focusing on this as soon as I get my life back in order...

• OK, I will do the Fritzing component. 

• Hi Oviiu,

Hows the Fritzing? If it looks overwhelming don't worry. I just realized I also don't have the Fritzing file for the IMU and the SF02. So I'm leaning towards using MS Visio. It's certainly not as cool as Fritzing, but making new "parts" is much easier.

RoboBill

• Hi Bill,

I did not start the Fritzing.I got a bad cold, still have it. Let me know if you decide to use Fritzing instead of Visio and I will do the component.

Regards, Ovidiu 

• Great... I will ask my son to do the Sparkfun Line Follower. Everything else is already on the web or in the core parts folder.

• I know that Fritzing part can be done. I have found the drawings for BaseCam here

http://www.basecamelectronics.com/simplebgc/

I can try over the weekend to do the Fritzing component.

• Hi Ovidiu,

That would be a great help. I heard back from Basecam Alex and he did not use Fritzing. :-( So your fritzing help will be most welcomed. In the meantime, I have started putting together two diagrams... one for each lidar unit. 

RoboBill 

This reply was deleted.