Failed waypoint navigation with ArduRover

Hi,

I've integrated an APM2.6 with 3DR GPS and RFD900 telemetry on a small vehicle.

Firmware installed successfully and i tried to navigate in a triangle in a parking lot to see the guidance in action, However each time i turn to AUTO mode and start the mission it is doing in-consistent slow circles around itself.

While my PIDs are default, I only wish to see some kind of waypoint navigation regardless of the performance, However it does not work at all.

I started tuning the PIDs according to the user guide but it is time consuming and like i said, I only wish to see a successful navigation regardless of performance... Can anyone direct me to the "magic tune" that would just prove some kind of navigation?

10x,

-Yaacov

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Developer

Hi Yaacov,

i had pretty good experiences with the default config.

Can you post an picture of your rover/setup so we can have a look ?

maybe it's a simple thing that is slipped through.

Linus

• Hi - Linus

I just setup my APM 2.6 with 3DR GPS and 3DR 915 MHZ telemetry in hobby tine Rover. I'm able to control the rover in manual mode with out a problem.  I tried to navigate to a Way point but the rover will go in  one way than another and them go into a circle . I tried the recommendation as stated above by placing the rover on a set of blocks and seeing if the steering points to the way point as posted above.

I re calibarated the compass.

I posted some of the setting. The full parameter is lenghty, I've uploaded some screen shots.

Many Thanks

Allen

I've posted some of my setting - any help is appreciated

rover listing.docx

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3702495973?profile=original
    • Admin

Hi allen,

You can capture your rover's operating parameters by going to the Config/Tuning screen and selecting the Full Parameter List. Over on the right side of the Full Parameter List screen is a Save button that will let you save your parameter to a file for easy recall if you have to reset your APM.

Your Flight modes do not appear to be correct. The default should be Auto, Auto, Learning, Learning, Manual, Manual from the top.

Your Cruise_Throttle should be less than 50. Also, try moving your NAVL1_PERIOD to 8 for a start.

Regards,

TCIII ArduRover2 Developer

• Many thanks - I took your recommendations but still get the same results. I m uploading my parameter list.

Again many thanks for you help.

parm list 1.param

• Developer
      Hi allen,

your CRUISE_SPEED 6 seems a little bit high.

Please try 3 m/s and 20% cruise throttle first before trying such high speeds.
      I would further try to lower STEER2SRV_P to maybe 1,2 or 1,5 as Tom statet.

You could also try to use the 3DR rover parameters to see if they fit your vehicle.
      There should be a dropdown list in Mission Planner (parameter screen) where you can select param defaults for several well known vehicles.

Select the rover entry in that list and upload them to your board.
      Worth a try since its a small 1/16 Vehicle.

Regards,
      Linus
    • Admin

Hi Linus,

If his chassis is anything like the 3DR ArduRover chassis, a cruise throttle of 20% will not be sufficient to get it to run even at 3m/s. This is due to the large neutral dead band in the ESC.

Also, I have found that APM equipped rovers tend to dither more at low speeds, like 3m/s and improve greatly between 4 - 6m/s.

Regards,

• Admin

@allen,

Try changing your STEER2SRV_P,1.9 to 1.0.

Also, what size is your rover chassis? 1/10 or 1/8 scale?

I have also asked Linus to take a look at your parameter file.

Regards,

• Thanks I try the new setting later tonight.

The chasis is 1/16 size - Is this too small ??  I purchased the rover that was recommended on http://rover.ardupilot.com/wiki/gettit/ from Hobbyking

Should I use a larger rover ? If so can you recommend one ?

• Admin

@allen,

Since you selected a 1/16 rover the STEER2SRV_P,1.9 should probably be set to around 1.5 based on my experience with the 3DR 1/16 ArduRover pre-production chassis.

I will attach my parameter file for the 3DR 1/16 ArduRover pre-production chassis later today so that you can compare your parameters with the pre-production chassis.

I am partial to Traxxas R/C chassis and have a 1/8 scale E-Maxx, two 1/10 scale Slash 2 and 4WD chassis and two 1/16 Fiesta Rally chassiss. I always buy roller chassis off of eBay to hold costs down. I believe that you get what you pay for in the way of chassis and Traxxas chassis can survive rollovers and hard curb hits and still keep running. Just my two cents worth.

Regards,

• 3D Robotics

Have you calibrated your magnetometer? You might also want to start in "steering" mode to make sure everything is hooked up right. Finally, check to make sure you don't have any channels reversed in auto mode. 

This reply was deleted.