BBBmini Rev. 1.6 wish list

Hello,

this is the next BBBmini Rev. 1.6 wish list. After discussion I will sort the requests into YES, MAYBE, NO.

YES:

• Add second IMU
  • Add I2C bus pull up resistors
  • Add WS2812 LED support
  • Remove HC-SR04 support (results are not as expected)
  • Add Buzzer support
  • Add Power button header
  • Add Level shifter / remove resistor voltage divider

MAYBE:

• Switch to 1206 SMD parts, because there is not enough space left on the PCB

NO:

• rfm23bp support (HF and no driver yet)
  • Reduce PWM channels
  • IMU heating
  • Remove CAN bus support
  • Change PCB outline for BeagleBone Green Wireless

Regards

Mirko

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hello Patrick,

the PRU will then be used for the WS2812 LED driver :-)

• pulsed light lidar lite is awesome and does not work well with I2C, the PRU capabilities of the bbbmini will be perfect for it

• Hello Mirko,

Agree , if someone really want to work with sonar, the best is to get a Maxbotic Sonar on I2c.

The only sad thing is that, it is a real good demonstration of the PRU capabilities.

• Hello Patrick,

thanks for your test. That is the distance I can reach with my BBBmini HC-SR04 too. I think we can skip HC-SR04 support, what do you think? 

Regards

Mirko

Patrick Poirier said:

Hey Linus,

I putted my ''orange crush'' , under test with the sonar, and it just works fine on a flat hard ground at a low altitude (10 - 50 cm) .  So it is ideal to test in the garage or on a tennis court ;-), that is about what the SR04 can accomplish.

(this baby is made of plywood and is running on a naze32 + cleanflight. I installed the bluetooth telemetry for the test. generally it is flying with the camera deck installed)

3702273579?profile=original

• Hey Linus,

I putted my ''orange crush'' , under test with the sonar, and it just works fine on a flat hard ground at a low altitude (10 - 50 cm) .  So it is ideal to test in the garage or on a tennis court ;-), that is about what the SR04 can accomplish.

(this baby is made of plywood and is running on a naze32 + cleanflight. I installed the bluetooth telemetry for the test. generally it is flying with the camera deck installed)

3702273579?profile=original

• Developer

Hi Patrick,

yes, using SMD parts will not fit the targeted user base though some space could be made free for new ideas.
    Hopefully i can buy one of these available CAN ESC's soon for a Rover / Plane to get the ball rolling.

I wonder what makes Cleanflight and the naze acro bard work with the HC-SR04.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ury7ZGCPyO4

The sensor is too cheap to expect wonders but what are the options available for the budget ?

Cheers
    Linus

• Hello Linus,

Just think of it,  the CANBUS footprint is 15 x 35mm (525 sq) out of 43x55 mm (2,365sq)  usable space on the board, so there is 22% of total space dedicated to this option. I wish that we could get affordable CANBUS devices but it seems quite remote as of now..

Concerning  SMD, the Level Shifter could be a good candidate for this option because it is just one chip and the format (PW package) is doable with a soldering iron, flux and practice. But we might lose a couple of interested DIYers because it is one step beyond through-hole building.

Please comment, best regards

• Developer

Hi,

don't want to request to much without actually contributing to the PCB but is SBUS output feasible maybe?

I am voting for leaving CANBUS on the Board as i want to test it when more cheap CAN ESC's show up. Its just that no one developed a ~50€ version yet.

Regarding SMD I think i could mount a SMD WS2812 LED on to the board easy, transceiver, resistors etc would probably work as well with some practice.

Rev. 1.6 should get a new low profile case and with Display in the lid then.

Cheers

Linus

• Hi Patrick,

you are right, most users need not more than 6 PWMs, but I will not reduce the number of channels yet.

Regards

Mirko

Patrick Poirier said:

Some additional mods

A) Lowering the modules = Changing connector type can help getting a lower profile (5mm).

3702268392?profile=original

Please note that these are the 4 ports unidirectionnal level shifter  ( less than 1$ at ALIEXPRESS) that could be used as PWM drivers. 

B) Optimization of the rear end connection

Reduce the number of PWM channels to 1- 6 and move on connector 7-12 these IO:

PPM-In 

Buzzer 

Curr-Volt 

Airspeed 

I2C (3rd) 

C) CANBUS == Please ask if ANYONE is using it 

You could easily use this space for the bidirectionnal  level shifter == Adafruit TXB0108

3702268604?profile=original

• Hi,

thanks for the suggestion, but I do not want to put HF on the BBBmini. And first there must be a working driver for the rfm23bp.

Regards

Mirko

Anemos Technologies said:

what about the rfm23bp support ? we are ready to make the driver for it

This reply was deleted.