Replies

• Hi Mirko (& all), 

Mike's question got me thinking about ArduCopter branches as well...

I've now logged many successful flight hours on my BBBMINI quad that I'm fairly confident that the ArduCopter build I am using is robust.  However, in restrospect I wonder if pulling the build off of the master branch was the best idea.  I am flying commit 802ced2, which was from mid-November.  As far as I can tell, the master branch is at the bleeding edge of ArduCopter development, where developers may occasionally check in latent bugs.  The code I downloaded and compiled will eventually be part of ArduCopter 4.0, but hasn't even been tagged as a release candidate.  

My question to you... has the BBBMINI code been in any of the official releases (e.g., Copter-3.3.1)?  If so, is there any release that you might recommend to those who don't want to pre-beta test all of the newest software?

Alternatively, have you considered tagging one of the commit as a relatively well tested BBBMINI-compatible version?   Or are you fairly comfortable with the stability of the master branch?  I guess as group of Linux autopilot users, we're can't be that averse to risk, so maybe it's okay.

Thoughts?

• Hi Larry,

BBBMINI is included in official releases, you can fly your BBBMINI with Copter-3.3.2. In master there could be some bugs because of the ongoing development but there are new features and bug fixes which are not yet in stable. There is a lot of progress in the development the last months. I am using dual IMU with EKF2, EKF2 is not in stable yet so I am using master. 

It is your decision you can use both, master with up to date features or stable with less features and maybe less bugs. But if you are on master and happy with it, I would recommend you to continue using it.

Regards

Mirko

• That's great to hear that the official release 3.3.2 supports BBBMINI.  I'll probably stick with the current build I have since everything seems to be working well, and hold out for 3.4.  At some point (when the right amount of new features have been incorporated into an official release), you might consider advising users to pull from an official release, rather than the master branch. 

• Hi Larry,

I think it a good idea to wait for 3.4 as a "stable BBBMINI" revision. Developer than can use master too.

Regards

Mirko

• Thanks Mirko.

I was just studying and found the target.mk and figured out that the form is board-frame-hil.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share this project with us.

I am going to use the Ultimate LRS 433mhz with telemetry system with it.

If I am successful I'll post a build thread on RCGroups to hopefully attract a few more people to this great idea.

Happy New Year to and your family

• Hi Mirko

Thank you for making the BBBMINI available for  DIYers, great stuff.

Should be receiving my BBBMini kit in the next few days. I've already got a second MPU9250 that I'm hoping to install as well.

I am quite new with Linux and github so it is all quite a big learning curve.

With regard to the software I note at point 17 of ''https://github.com/mirkix/BBBMINI/blob/master/doc/software/software.md it states 'Get Ardupilot code: git clone https://github.com/diydrones/ardupilot.git'

Should I replace the above with 'git clone https://github.com/mirkix/ardupilot/tree/master_dual_mpu9250_ak8963' ?

I know I have to configure in Ardupilot but would you please let me know whether there is anything else I need to alter to get the second mpu working.

Thank you

Jon

mirkix/BBBMINI
    BeagleBone ArduPilot DIY Cape . Contribute to mirkix/BBBMINI development by creating an account on GitHub.
    • Hi Jon,

yes you are right. checkout the dual_mpu9250_ak8963 branch and connect the second imu like as the first one (but to spi port0 P12). Then follow http://dev.ardupilot.com/wiki/ekf2-navigation-system/ to configure the second imu. Test first without props and check log files before your first flight. If you have questions about the config please ask.

Regards

Mirko

• Hello Mirko,

According to the ekf2:

• EK2_IMU_MASK = 3 (Instructs EKF2 to run two instances, one for IMU1 (MPU6000) and one for IMU2 (LDG20H + LSM303D)

Is your implementation does the sensor fusion of both MPU9250 for all 9 axis Gyro+Accel+Mag ?

And what about the Mag signal coming from the GPS, is it added as a third compass signal within the ekf2 ?

Best Regards

• Hi Patrick,

yes, my dual imu branch use both MPU9250. Did not try the third mag, but the code is still in, it should use the external mag as first mag in ArduPilot.

Regards

Mirko

• Hi Mirko

That's great.

Thank you for the info.

Jon

This reply was deleted.