Developer

To create a valid SBC Linux Image we need to know what software that would be useful to a new comer to have pre-installed.

Statring with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS for ODROID /RPi2
Additional Software would be 
System Software
- FTDI USB support (drivers are built in)
- Python
- WiFi Support (As Client and Access Point)
- DHCP and DNS Support
- LTE Module Support (needs list of compatible devices)
- OpenCV + Python Bindings
- OpenVPN support for secure connections
- gstreamer-1.0
Drone Software
- MAVProxy
- DroneAPI
Python Applications
- Randy's Balloon Finder
- Drone API examples 
Bootup to start MAV Proxy and other Python software in know configurations
[LATER] Also  

- Inadyn

- dnsutils

- modeswitch

- proftpd

- VLC  (Some people prefer VLC over gStreamer)

- Uqmi  ?  (True LTE support. Widely used by OpenWrt)

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Is this thread dead? is this continued somewhere else?

Thanks

I'm still here (or I should say, I'm back).   

I made it into the DJI Developer Challenge (my company is Flying Robots LLC), but just got the news today that  I didn't make it into the second round.  https://developer.dji.com/challenge2016/#6

I am now working with several different companion computers - the TK1 (DJI Manifold),  Odroid XU4, Raspberry Pi 2, and now Raspberry Pi 3.  I also have a build that runs on the Odroid C0/C1/C2, if anyone is interested.  

On top of all that, I just finished shooting 10 Episodes of a new TV Series on Discovery Science called DRONED.   The show will air on July 22 at 7pm on Discovery Science (aka: the Science Channel)

It's been a busy couple of months!

• well, I am starting on a rpi2 based companion for pixhawk,and I would be very interested in getting the seek thermal up and running. @Bill: I understood you have a build for rpi2 that got the seek thermal running; is there any possibility that I could get your build for that?

I do have the Seek Thermal camera running on the Raspberry Pi 2.  It runs as a ROS Topic.  I think somewhere Bill Bonny put an upload of it somewhere.   Otherwise I could send you an SD Card for a small fee.  Do you already have a SEEK Thermal Camera?  There's a tiny difference in the software between the SEEK Compact and SEEK XR.  

• I'm here too :)

I just built V1 image (.img) for my pi2 and made available here: http://diydrones.com/group/companion_computers/forum/topics/compani...

I will be adding more and more as it progresses so I would like some requests and adds. I currently need a python script to match mavlink gps data with pi camera photos - I already have a script to write a photo when Ardupilot triggers a pi2 GPIO pin.

Groundstation-pi image soon to follow, which allows users to not have to setup IP for SSH access. I'm currently seeking a pi zero if anyone has one available for use/sale (UK). I contacted pi foundation but they haven't replied.

• I already have a Seek Thermal XR.

• Developer

I'm still here.  I haven't done much on the RPI2 recently though.  At this precise moment I'm playing with a TX1.  I hate to move to the next companion computer before the first is done but I have a particular project that will require the TX1.

• I'm still here.  

I am in standby mode with the RPI3, waiting for 64 bit OS & GPU drivers... They may never come ;-)

TX1 is still in development, a quick reading on the Nvidia Developer Forum, shows that the CSI cameras to work is still a work in progress...So I am standing by as well for the Tx1

Meanwhile, I got back to the root and have lot of fun on flashing and modifying microdrones on rcgroup 

• Developer

yes, it's all a bit tricky cooperating on images.

I'm ok with posting other images for these companion computers.  For example, an image which makes it easy for people to test a connection to a thermal camera would be interesting (so I'm downloading BillP's image and probably upload to firmware.diydrones.com) as long as it's accompanied by setup scripts and a wiki page so someone can recreate it again themselves (Hamish can help you create a wiki page, just raise an issue here).

The images should ideally not include any other changes from the base image (i.e. NOOBs, etc) besides for what's in the setup scripts.  So for example, when producing images I'm careful not to leave any traces like visited web pages, shell history, environment variables changes, keyboard layout changes, etc.

I think we should probably try to keep the images as small as possible, which probably means 16GB (8GB is apparently too small.. it's at least too small to build OpenCV on).

So Buzz says getting setup scripts into that companion repo is a good way to go.  This whole project is rather green so we're not going to be strict about quality yet.

Some ways others could help me out is to perhaps start with the image that I've created and add something on top of it (i.e ROS, etc) would be good.  Update the setup script (in github) with the additional commands required and pass the image back to me and I can replace the v0.3 with this new one.

Testing out the image would be good too and if someone wants to get really ambitious they could try to figure out how to get the latency down on the gstreamer feed.  Or alternatively try and look into a way that we could grab an image from the RPI camera and pull it into OpenCV without upsetting the live feed to the pilot.

..it's all very tricky I know..

• I just started playing with Yocto for an UDOO board, similar to the Pi2. That would probably be a better way to go in the long run. But as far as Qt goes, it's a pain. Configuring on the board gets me more results than in Yocto. It is rather easy to grab git "meta" repos, and cross compile on a much faster machine.

Qt on the Pi takes days to build, it's not happy with parallel building. I ended up going to 32G card cause 16G was tight. I have a build script mostly tested, probably commit worthy. But to save time, a tgz already built might help, ready to run install. Apt-gettable deps are in the script.

This reply was deleted.