2nd Flight Iris+ Fly Away Crash

Had posted this on the Iris Owners page on FB, but thought I'd also get it on here for further advice...

Went out to fly early Sunday morning, had a nice steady 5 minute flight in Loiter to warm up. Very smooth flight and 11 Sats, but when I got it about a foot from the ground to land, it shot straight up and wouldn't allow me to regain control. Tried RTL - no luck. Switched over to STD - no luck either. Luckily instead of heading over the lake, it continued the other way and I was able to find it not far away. Think it must have hit a tree and fell into the road or hard dirt. A passing car saw me walking and asked if I was looking for a "drone"! They were nice enough to place it and my GoPro on a bench by the side of the road. It's smashed up pretty good as you can see from the pic. I've included a link to the flight log and also sent them to 3DR.

I've had plenty of experience both with RTF and building multirotors, but never had such a violent fly-away. Really bummed because I also just received my LiveView kit yesterday and was so looking forward to taking my son out flying over Christmas vacation.

Appreciate everyone's time and sorry that this has to be my first post!

DropBox Crash Log Link

3691167547?profile=original

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• UPDATE:

Just received an email from 3DR - 

"..., it seems the main accelerometer failed mid-flight, I'm really sorry for the inconveniences caused."

They are sending an RMA out.
    • Same happened to me, I think I saw your post on the IRIS+ Owners Facebook group. Hope you get a solution soon!

• Yes I did Quauhtli. In fact your post reminded me to post on DIY as well! Good luck.

• Just to let you know that I've got an answer from 3DR Support. They said, as many here, that I tried to took off on a non-flat surface which I did. Logs registers a big difference between the EKF1 Yaw and the actual IRIS+ Yaw, so that procuded the crash. They offered me two alternatives: 15% off on replace parts or free-revision-repair if I sent the IRIS to them (I will pay shipping handling), which I'm going to do. Thank you all and fly safe, never do what I did

• Hey guys,

I had the same thing happen to mine. 3rd time out flying and it decided to just spool up completely without any inputs. I was close enough to just hold down a rotor with my feet so it wouldn't fly away and just wait until the battery died. It sucked. Then I troubleshot it with 3DR for about a week and it had GPS Cal Failures and it just could not be fixed. I sent it back and they received it Dec 7th. They still have it and I emailed them for a status but got no response. Good luck when sending it in. I initially bought it to use it over my thanksgiving trip, but it looks like I wont be getting it back any time soon. I just want it back so I can use it. Having it for a month is a bit rediculous. Not responding back to me is even worse. 

• As an update, 3DR fully replaced my Iris due to the accelerometer failure and they even got it out to my delivered on Christmas Eve! I didn't need it before Christmas, but had promised my 7 y/o son that we were going to do a flying trip over his vacation. That's to Vu Tran and 3DR, I was able to keep my promise.

Since, I have had many successful flights and love my Iris+!

• How much did you have to pay? I had to pay 550 dollars, they replaced Pixhawk, 4 motors and legs and it was caused by the accelerometer as well :( 

• Sorry for the late response, but I did not pay anything.
This reply was deleted.