FINAL MAPPING ASSEMBLY :: FEB 13, 2015

As promised, here are the images and captions for the community
to benefit from for the custom mount design to fit the Canon S100 to the Iris. 
Looking back at this process I see way simpler approaches to mounting a camera,
especially with Pascal's Sony RX100 MkII mount. However, I'm paranoid and find
having a secure payload means way less anxiety in the field and that helps fly better
and be more responsive in recoveries. It also helps make consistent product in the 
end which helps trouble shoot the post-flight software side of things way easier.

Parts used:

1. 1.5" screws cut down along with nylon lock washers and regular washers
2. 3DR Iris tarot gimbal plate
3. Flite Test Electrohub
4. Custom designed 3D printed mount for Canon S100.

I wish I could share the actual mount template but that is not my intellectual property. 
If anyone is interested in having the mount printed I can put you in touch with my friend who
finalized designed of the mount. Enjoy!

3691179316?profile=originalLeft Side View: Battery & Media card access. Camera secures to mount with standard 1/4"  tripod screw.

3691179201?profile=originalFront View: Initially the idea of the mount was that the front most screw would fit in the rear of the stock Iris gopro mount. having the mount directy on the frame lead to heavy vibrations.

3691179330?profile=originalRight Side View: You can see one of the vibration dampeners in the center of the image. The key to minimizing vibration was distancing the camera mount from frame with the use of the Tarot gimbal adapter plate for Iris.

3691179351?profile=originalRear View: With out the use of the two zip ties, the camera mount would weigh down more on the left side due to the S100 battery weight.

3691179372?profile=originalZip Ties: I intially used two purple zip ties which where the guage and found that they added too much slack or not enough slack. Also the size of the closed loop made by the the two purple zip ties led to getting cuaght on the mount screw and electrohub nut. Later i switched to a thinner yellow guage zip tie and found perfect balance for adjusting tension.

3691179393?profile=original

Belly View 1

3691179423?profile=originalBelly View 2: My friend who helped design the mount says he has found a way to remove excessive material from this original design. 

3691179288?profile=originalMovement: The two 1" or so screws that descend the electrohub allow the entire assembly to slide against the belly of Iris.

3691179456?profile=originalCustom tall legs: Are made of carbon fiber, reinforced with bamboo shish kabob skewer and bound with two layers of heat shrink. At the bottom of the leg is the same metal washer with locking nut as found at the top. Doing this greatly minizied the bounce associated with landings that at times resulted to flip overs and broken legs.

3691179301?profile=original

Front view: with lens extended at capture focal length of 24mm.

3691179469?profile=original

Inittiating Script: The second of the two buttons bellow the back scroll dial (playback button) is what initiates the 2 sec capture script. I've set up the CHDK to  self initiate on start up. 

3691179522?profile=originalBeta Bird: Front view of the entire assembly and mount on the beta bird. With the mount assembly now finalized, I will be investing in the newer lighter arms as well as cleaning up the ugly wiring.

3691179445?profile=originalAccessibility: There is just enough room below electrohub and camera mount that I can change a few settings if I take off my gloves which really bites at 5 degrees fahrenheit!

3691179535?profile=originalTop view of the electrohub: I initially bought the electrohub with the goal of building an APM2.6 quadcopter. When i was problem solving the mount & vibration for the Iris, I visualized a design that used standard CD/DVDs. However the 3 mounting holes were slightly too large to adapt the mount to the Tarot plate. 

3691179490?profile=originalBalance: In order to not mess with the gains on the TX, the electrohub uses two exisitng holes for the left and right screws for center X-axis balance. For y-balance  a new hole just above the top most hole found in the electrohub, and another just above the inner most ring of holes. The goal was to keep the perfect balance found with the Tarot gimbal. 

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I too have my Iris+ setup for mapping. I utilized a mount designed by IMP Concepts. He has designed a great solution for great mapping results. I have been testing this mount for the past months and it has work great. I have my Canon S100 running CHDK with the USB Distance trigger. Maps are coming out great. I have a trial with it at a Golf Course in the coming weeks. Check out the link if you are interested, they only charge 40$. I also add a Nano camera in the nose of the Iris with a 170 deg. Wide angle lens with a Nano 5.8G 600mw tx for situation awareness. 3702106416?profile=original

3702106372?profile=original

3702106316?profile=original

Canon S100, S110, S120, SX260, G9X, ELPH 110IS, 130IS, 180, 320HS & 330HS Fixed Mapping 3DP Mount &…
    Canon S100, S110, S120, SX260, G9X, ELPH 110IS, 130IS, 180, 320HS & 330HS Fixed Mapping 3DP Mount & Adapter for 3DR Iris, Solo & X8
    • That's very cool, I'm about to buy one of the camera.  I have a question though, how do you get it to continually take photo's?  I called GoPro and found a setting I can use for 1 FPS.  I called Canon & they don't have a time lapse setting that takes more than a burst of maybe ten photos.  

I have a potentially huge job coming up & would like to use this camera for mapping purposes.  How are you all overriding the camera to get at least one FPS?

• You have to load CHDK onto the camera.

• I'll look that up, thanks!

• Yes I use CHDKload on my S100. I then made a trigger cable so that the PIxhawk can trigger the camera based on distance.
  • How bad was the vibration when the mount was attached directly to the frame? did it make the pictures unusable?

• No, use high speed exposure.

• cool. Does the canon s100 come with the necessary exposure times or does it need new firmware installed?

• I don't have that camera but, for shure it has nessesary exposure, fly with good ligth conditions and be shure that your props and motors are well balance; If you need raise the iso values.

• Awesome progress! I've had to focus on other things, as of late, but your gimbal has motivated me! Back to it, soon. I bought an anti-vibration plate cheap off ebay- now to figure out a gimbal-like mount and the best way to hold the camera to the plate. Thanks for posting all your information! I will start a thread when I start doing more things!

This reply was deleted.