3DR Iris Screwed Me Again!

Well I don't know whether to laugh or cry.  I had a horrific crash a couple of months ago, so I've been laying low.  Then last week I started to piece everything together and get back into it VERY SLOWLY and carefully.

Some of you (on facebook) helped me look at my logs from 3 simple flights just to foresee any problems, everything looked ok:  http://diydrones.com/group/iris/forum/topics/please-check-my-logs

So yesterday I assemble a brand new Tarot 2D gimbal, and also pieced together a couple of broken GoPros and made 1 that would record.  Just scraping up the pieces to get back into it slowly, ya know?

I took it to the park tonight, a different park and I made sure to STAY OVER THE GRASS AT ALL TIMES, and no higher than 10 meters for the most part.  I flew several auto missions I just drew up tonight in DroidPlanner2.  Just quick flights, relatively low to the ground, and I brought 3 batteries.

I was testing different flight patterns and waypoint functions in DroidPlanner, nothing too crazy.  A pause here for 10 seconds, a 10 meter circle around this area, point the camera here, no big deal, right???  

I'm in my 4th flight and using my 3rd and final battery for the night.  The audio comes on and says "Battery at 90%" so I'm like ok, cool.  I'm just letting it run it's auto mission that probably would have lasted a grand total of 3 minutes, and the son of a bitch drops out of the F#^%ing sky AGAIN like a rock, NO WARNING.  I break one of the blue arms, and my BRAND NEW F$*%ing gimbal snaps off of the Iris.

Is this a joke?  

So anyways, here I go again, I'll put this one in to 3DR support with almost ZERO confidence, let's see if they'll offer 30 bucks off of something again and find a way to suggest it was all my fault.

Here are the logs, and better yet I've got the video.  What else can I provide you fine folks?  I'll just share the Dropbox folder with all 4 logs from tonight, and of course the crash is the latest log.  I would absolutely love some analysis on what went wrong.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rn0h0q8msmbw87w/AAD3R6iA_sBKkO0SDxDphz00a?dl=0

And the video.  I can share the other videos from the earlier flights tonight, but they are uneventful, just going to a dozen waypoints, looking at points of interest, pausing, and landing.

The crash happens at 2:37, and I think it's just absolutely adorable how the motors continue to spin EVERY TIME it crashes even if it's upside down, as if there is no setting on the compass that can turn those damned motors off.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I predict the logs will show he started with a depleted battery. 

• Sorry, I wish it was as simple as that.  I always fly with my batteries fully charged.

• As inexperienced as I am..I would respectfully disagree. The motors stopped and THEN the iris crashed. A low charge bat. Should trigger a low bat. Failsafe and land. The logs will tell.
    • Mine did the same thing..twice into tall grass. 0nce 3dr contacted mr, they said to update the firmware. I did, it helped, then I sold it and bought one of the fompetitors models...cant mention it here or I get in trouble.i must of had a lemon for I had lots of Gps issues and power issues. It never seemed to fly as locked in my other quads. Have friends that have had many flights without any problems with their iris,s
      Good luck!
    • I know for sure, 100% that I've got a lemon.  But 3DR won't seem to acknowledge this.  I don't know what else to do, how else I can prove it to them.

I've had crash after crash after crash.

• Do not let up on 3d our customer service. Continue to hound them until they get you a new drone I was convinced absolutely 100 percent certain either my drone or in my case I believed the controller transmitter was faulty. You need to pay a ginormous pain in your ass until they give you a new You
  • (Disclaimer, I am not being condescending in any way)

This is DIY Drones. Advanced drones are still relatively new, and take trial and error to fix. 3DR support Blows (I gave up on them a long time ago) but the forums dont. Chances are someone else has had the same problem, and / or someone will help you with yours.

But even with the Iris, Its DIY. It's like are you the kind of guy who builds your computer or buys a dell and calls tech support. If you want to have an easy ride, by one of those White phantoms from DJI that are propagating like Rabbits...or a Solo.

Its a great hobby, and I have more fun with my drone on the bench then in the air (or at least as much)

As for your problem, go here http://www.smw3d.com/fans/ and pic up 2 30 or 40mm 12v fans. I use these for my 3D printer and they would be perfect for an iris case....especially the 30mm

• Hi Justin,

post your logs and we will have a look at them.

There is something wrong with your soft- or hardware. My best guess is if you don't replace some of the components or software you might have troubles again and again.

It won't help you, but my Iris+ worked out of the box. It does all the stuff it's supposed to do. Auto mission, follow me. Telemetry (even 433 Mhz where lot's of persons had issues) giving me the advertised range of 200-300 m on stock antenna.

There must be definitely sth wrong with yours and probably it's not a pilot error.

• In addition. After I build up confidence, I started checking out the fail safe modes. In real conditions.

Switching off the transmitter, simulating loss of signal during a mission and during position hold mode.

Guess what. Works fine. No crash, it returns home and lands.

There is good chance you will enjoy the Iris+

Someone just need to figure out what the issue in your case is. 

• OK so take a look at my "Drone Sunset" video I shot 2 nights ago, Tuesday night.  Everything went good, right?  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0icaRqriIc

So I build up a little confidence and take the drone up the mountain to get some beautiful shots of a post rain sunset overlooking the lake.  This is why we buy the drone, right????

Here is how it went.  I decided to give a little monologue before the flight just in case it crashed, but I was really hoping I could just delete it, ignore it, and proceed with beautiful video.

You be the judge

This reply was deleted.