FAA N Number, Notary clarification

Does anyone have an N number for their IRIS yet? I've come across an issue that's stumping me.

To fly commercially, one needs a 333, a COA, and a registered aircraft with an N number (among other things). You cannot currently apply for a COA without an N number. According to this FAA guidance, getting an N number requires, among other things, "A full description of the UAS provided by the manufacturer, builder or applicant in a Notarized statement."

Well, I just got a response from 3DR about getting such a Notarized statement from them, which consisted of this:

"Thank you for contacting 3D Robotics.
We are unable to provide you with the documentation you are requesting.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.
Have a great day!"

So what now? I can't comply with the FAA without that document, and it seems like kind of an absurd mandate. Is DJI providing notarized documents? Yuneec? What's going on here? Thanks for any insight.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I might sound confusing, sorry.  I'm running all around trying to get stuff done.  

Upon reading this thread, and my FAA paperwork, it appears I still have to file my operating agreement for my LLC and get it notarized.  In the meantime, they have issued me a temporary N number I'm working with for the current site specific COA that will last for 90 days.  

And you're right, the process is all on the FAA website, you just can't submit a COA without an N number on the site.  

I'll let you know when the other one goes through, I filed it a few weeks ago.      

• Thanks UAS Pilot. So you have not received a UAS COA since the inception of the 333 process? Has anyone successfully requested and received a COA for commercial use other than the blanket COA? If so could you explain how long it took and any difficulties and road blocks you experienced?

• I've filed two & received one.  It took about a month and several phone calls back and forth to the case worker.  The restrictions were I had to use the NDB & use the nav/com to listen to traffic.  (why the NDB and not a VOR was beyond me)

The process is tedious at best, as with everything with the FAA.  Like I said, with the exact same info I got one N number and not another.  I got quite a few emails saying I needed to send in the chart marking the location (which I had done).  I got the feeling he thought someone else had put this together for me and I was the secretary pressing the send button.  The best thing to do is call them when they send your case number, they're happy to answer questions by phone.  

As for info on forums, this is where I get most of my info.  The bigger firms have a legal team that does all this for them.  I've done everything myself.  

• Well said Heller and thank you for sharing your personal experience with this process.

• No problem, this is super confusing.  The COA I had go through I had done for another company.  I looked on that list of N numbers & didn't see mine.  It looks like I missed part 3 of the whole process, turning in my LLC operating agreement and getting everything notarized.  I have temporary #'s that worked in filing a COA for my own business.  They expire in 90 days if I don't get the rest of this stuff in.

Thought I was home free until I read this thread....

• I had the FAA mail me the forms and then I filled out the paperwork & attached the receipts.  I have one registered, one that said I had to go through and get it notarized with the exact same information.  

What I'm finding out about filing COA's and getting N numbers is the FAA is just starting to do this too.  Basically, you are giving the same performance criteria and paperwork as if you bought a plane.  I didn't go through 3DR at all.  

The COA's are also tricky.  It's up to that individual airport to approve or deny.  I bought a nav/com to communicate w/ the tower and monitor traffic while I fly.  

• Currently I have only flown under the universal COA. Could you explain a little bit about how you are doing individual COA's? I thought it required going through the long and drawn out process described on the FAA's website here: https://ioeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/  and here:  http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ato/servic...

If there is an easier way, I would love to know how.  Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the iOE/AAA System
    • There's not an easier way.  You have to attach the aeronautical chart with markings of where the locations is.  It's the same type of process, you have to write the performance of the drone and what you'll do if there's an emergency (or what the drone does if it loses telemetry, etc.).  Then you get an FAA case worker working on it.  They've emailed me back the next day.  

If there are further questions, I just call the case worker.  From there, they ask the airport you are requesting the COA from and that airport gives you the restrictions and approval.  You don't have to give a specific date, you will arrange that with the airport after it's approved.  It takes quite a few weeks to get approval, maybe a month?

That's for Class B,C,D airports w/ towers.  Otherwise you can call 24 hours in advance & file a NOTAM (Notice to Airman - don't need N number).  Give the time & lat/long/alt of flight & the info on the flight service station for that area.  Call:  877-487-6867.

They did ask me about a hand held Nav/com for the COA.  I got this off of amazon:  Icom IC-A24 Handheld Nav/Comm for about $300.  I happen to live in very busy airspace.  In most cases, I would think you could get away w/ calling in a NOTAM.  

Robot Check
    • Thanks for the help. So my universal COA has an altitude restriction of 200 ft. If I wanted to extend that to 400 in class E would I just need to call in a NOTAM similar to what I have to do under normal circumstances with my current COA or do I need an entirely new COA and have to go through the entire process? I've also heard of public entities getting statewide COA's that are more condition specific similar to what they do for closed set filming. Do you know anyone on the private sector side that has done anything similar?

• The best thing to do is call the NOTAM # when you need to fly 400' and see.  They'll either approve it or tell you you need a separate COA.  

I know of a few start ups that have them pending, none that are approved yet.  I'm sure insurance on those (which I highly recommend) is a lot higher.  

With the FAA stuff, you just have to be patient with them.  I'm finding out that clients have no clue about any of this & will just send you out to fly over a freeway or the end of a runway.  You have to let them know what's legal for you to fly, even if it's going to cost you.  It'll cost you more in the long run if something goes wrong.  

It's better to take the time now to comply, because I truly think a lot of businesses will be weeded out if they don't.  Patience & troubleshooting is the name of this game.

This reply was deleted.