GPS Lock in the Caribbean

Just curious, has anyone here flown a drone with GPS lock in the caribbean? Im curious as to how many satellites will be available down there compared to up here in Canada.

Also, when flying with the airlines do you have to take your LiPo's on carry-on or can you check them with your case?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• How are people packing their drones for travel?

Are you using a large Pelican case with foam and just checking it as luggage?

• Im using a pelican case with zip ties through the lock holes. That way if they want to get inside they can but ill know if they do.

Im going to take my batteries on with me in a lipo bag. But I'm first going to see if I can get a document from the airline I'm travelling with that clearly defines their policies so that I don't have a problem at check in and customs.

• http://blog.tsa.gov/2013/06/travel-tips-tuesday-safely-packing.html...
      They allow as many rechargeable lithium batteries as long as they are 100wh or less and up to two rechargeable lithium batteries that are over 100wh.
      The largest battery I've seen people flying their Iris with is a 5000mah...so 5ah×11.1V=55.5wh...so you can bring as many as you want. Just to please the security people...place each battery in a separate Zip-Loc bag.
    • I found this on the Air Canada website - 

• Lithium ion cells and batteries up to 100 Watt Hours (Wh) each
        • The following are permitted in carry-on baggage only*:
          • Consumer electronic devices containing accepted lithium ion cells or batteries with a rating of not more than 100 Wh each;
          • Spare lithium ion cells or batteries with a rating of not more than 100 Wh each.
      • Lithium ion batteries with a rating of 100 but not exceeding 160 Watt Hours (Wh)
        • A maximum of two (2) individually protected spare lithium ion batteries with a rating of 100 Wh but not exceeding 160 Wh may be carried per passenger in carry-on baggage only*, pending approval by Air Canada airport agents.
    • I'd recommend calculating the watt hours of each of your batteries and writing it on the label. This seems to be the unit they're concerned with, and likely would have made my interaction easier.

Also, have you considered TSA locks for your peli? I always fly with mine and while I can't tell if they opened the case or not, I at least know that curious baggage handlers can't simply snip a zip tie to take a peek.
  • I've heard that, just wanted to be sure. I've also heard its a good idea to discharge them before traveling.
    • Storage voltage is best for when it's more than a day or two...so 3.7-3.8V.
  • LiPos, and any other lithium based batteries, are carry-on only. If they are found in a checked bag, depending on how "nice" the person that found them is you will either have your batteries trashed, or your whole bag trashed. 

• Be aware, this is completely unpredictable. I've been flying nearly four times a month over the past 4 months for surveying work and have so far had pretty good luck until yesterday. The TSA lady I was gifted with got intimidated by the batteries and called into United Hazmat to clear them. Since she couldn't accurately relay their specs to the united line (she asked me "what power is this? 6?"), they must have assumed that they were large, lithium metal batteries and told me I had to leave all but 4 behind. She also said I could only carry in two, and the other two had to be stored "in the device" in my checked bags. In my opinion this is an incredibly unsafe way to transport batteries, but with clear TSA instructions to do so I didn't want to argue.

I'd consider shipping your batteries if you have the time... Those security folks have very little understanding of the safe protocols and hazards of battery transport.
  • Go here SatCom Predictor , enter your coordinates or your address and the date. It will tell you how many satellites you should see and what your HDOP should be for a given time of day.

I have had intermittent issues on the Iris with very low sat count and high HDOP. It's intermittent but increasing in frequency. I sent my GPS back today and am waiting on a replacement.

This reply was deleted.