I'm ready to drop 3DR, go with DJI

Alright, this time I'll try to whine and complain a little less, but I think this is it.  After replacing gimbal after gimbal, broken arm after broken arm (are they always the blue ones that break?), watching my Iris drop dead from the sky time after time, I'm just ready to get out of this abusive expensive relationship.

3691285608?profile=original

I will give it just 1 more chance though.... and it hinges on how 3DR support will reply to my email I sent today.  Will they blame the pilot, again?  Or will they say "hey, you know what, you just might have a bad piece of hardware"

I took my Iris out to the park, wanting to practice some Follow Me paths while riding my bike.  Well, I didn't even get to hop on my bike before the Iris crashed twice, both times killing power in the air.

The first crash was luckily only 3 feet off the ground, so it landed on all 4 legs.  I flew it again, hovering around 4 - 5 feet for a minute or so just to see if it would kill again, nope, I landed it.

Maybe I'm arrogant, but this time I tried launching with the Tower app.  Launched fine, and as it climbs to about 20 feet I realize if it falls from that height, it might do some damage, so I pressed "Land" on my phone, and the Land button must be 3DR for "kill power and dive" because that's what happened.  

I wasn't so lucky this time, it took a nose dive breaking an arm and the gimbal.  Fortunately THIS time my GoPro was not harmed.

If anybody wants to waste some time trying to investigate a problem I expect 3DR Support will blame on pilot error, here are my logs from today.  But please, if you do find out what happened (other than it looks like you lost power here...), I would appreciate some feedback.  It would be interesting to see if 3DR support has a different answer too.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/63m1xapf0gawg4n/AADrnUObnQXgrZT2y63jTtYYa?dl=0

Here is also the entire video, uncut from today, for your laughter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG9649RKpAg

Like I said, 3DR has 1 last chance to impress me.  I've just received a bonus check from work for a couple thousand dollars, and I'm buying a new drone.  3DR Solo?  DJI Phantom 4?  Let's see how this support call turns out.  Last time they offered me a 15% discount on an overpriced Tarot gimbal.  No help with my crushed GoPro.  Not even a constellation prize set of propellers.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Oh there it is, I'm lucky now. How was I lucky that I didn't cause any harm to others? I went specifically to this park in off season, because there are minimal bystanders. Or maybe since I'm such a terrible pilot, it was all luck and I could have just as easily mowed down dozens of kids with the propeller blades of destiny.

You know what? You're lucky you decided not to run that red traffic light today, you could have been in huge trouble for manslaughter if you would have ran it.

Any non murderous driver can see that driving drunk is bad, so please don't do it.

Thanks.
    • Sorry to disagree, crash due to not doing a pre-flight check is  an operator error. 

The main point is, you ignored the power issue (from your previous crash) and popped up your iris at full throttle. That is a textbook operator error. improper pre-flight check.

• Respectfully, can you please tell me what you would have done after the first power failure?  What would you have done, what would you have looked at?  You've got the logs there, the video footage to show what happened.

Have I not provided the same data logs that I would have access to, so I could have followed your advise?

There is not a single response here that has shown me what I should have done after the first power failure.  

What I DID do was launch it again, had it hover for a few minutes at a safe height, and nothing went wrong.  I continued to learn and experiment.  

Instead of continuing to blame me for launching again, will you please instead offer a solution?  The data is there.  I await your suggestion.

Thanks

• In my previous reply, you should use mission plsnner app to download the log. Your log showed a significant voltage drop which is a clear indicator of battery issue. Even you have no access to MP, a prudent operator would abandon the mission and check the air wothiness of the power system before fly again, the least you should have done is checking your battery, and/or change the battery. Instead of abandoning the flight, you push the throttle  (by auto launch, another pilot error). It is like sending a football player who just had a concussion to  head check with the oposing player.

You were lucky that you have not caused any damage to other. Otherwise, a good lawyer can take you to a cleaner for negligent.

Just write off your lost and go buy a P4, I doubt any one in this forum can give you support for a claim.

PS. I'm in the "blame" business, Although I know that is not what you wanted to hear. that is my analusis of your crash from your log and video.

• Great picture, any idea where it is taken?

• Hi Justin,

went through the pretty much same while doing formal SQA on APM code & IRIS+ for a municipal agency

Ditch the POS IRIS,

DONT DONT DONT buy into the the marketing BS about the SOLO..

and go with a DJI P3P or better..

dont listen to the victim blaming here.. 3DR and its fanbois are in full force on that.. the code is shat.. the hardware is shat.. and the company is shat along with its paid for shills

get a DJI and dont look back

HZL

ps. friends dont let friends waste their hardearned money on crap 3DR gear

fanbois comments,flames >/dev/null

• I guess the complaints of the phantom owners are made up lies.

3702740238?profile=original

• Those are just my brothers lost phantoms!!! They must have dredged the lake.. LOL

• @Sgt Ric,

let me in to buy all the trash by my lab for students.

email me back

manta103g@gmail.com

This reply was deleted.