IRIS+ Fail, Flew Away and Crash

Hello everyone:

Yesterday, what it seemed like a nice day to fly, it became the end to my IRIS+. I just started flying over a wheat field and suddenly the IRIS+ stopped responding telemetry commands, raised up itselft for about 50 meters, then flew away and went side until it crashed, like if a motor had stopped working.

The results: all the four legs got crashed, the chasis is all with scratches, the front red leds didn't turn on anymore and the GoPro Hero3+ housing scratches too. Fortunately the Gimbal was not installed.

I'm feeling pretty dissapointed now on the IRIS+ since I spent so much money on it. Today sent an email to Help department at 3DRobotics hoping for an explanation of what happened and looking forward for some kind of warranty.

Here is the video and the photo showing how the IRIS+ ended up so I wondering if you guys could notice something wrong on this attempt to fly.

Thanks!

Log files: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1nzuiixs0lba4ju/QUADROTOR.zip?dl=0

3691167456?profile=original

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I was in loiter mode and i tried, standard mode and RTL and Land.   nothing happed.   I left fast didnt have much time before it was gone,   Drove around with remote and FPV  trying to get signal of any kind but noting !

• You shoyld have made sure that you had latest firmware..

• Craig; Thanks. I was able to fly my new Iris. 

• tajL

The only thing I will add here is  enabling geo_fence for altitude and circle to prevent future flyaways if no one else has mentioned this..

hzl

• Developer

Excellent! Have fun and fly safe!

• I lost my Iris+ (it just flew away and lost control/connection) and was not able to find it. I ordered new Iris+ from 3DR and it came defective and it is not arming and motors not turning on. Trying to contact support with no luck. Probably they are all off for holidays. I hope to hear from 3DR support soon and hope they can resolve the motors issue so that I can fly again/

• Developer

If your vehicle is not arming, it is not defective.  It is telling you there is something wrong with your setup and it is failing one of the pre-arm checks.  Connect a ground control station and the vehicle will tell you what is wrong. 

• BTW, I hear the beep when I am trying to arm but motors/propellers don't turn on.

I also don't see BLUE LED for GPS Lock. You can check video and hear the arming BEEP I hear.

• It says Bad Gyro health. See attached picture.

Once it said Need 3D Fix but now it only says Bad Gyro health.

2014-12-27 10.59.26 (Medium).jpg

2014-12-27 10.33.56 (Medium).jpg

• Bad Gyro Health definitely not good.  The other is just indicating it can't get a 3D GPS lock (onto satellites).  Sometimes that is slow to happen.

You might see 9 - 13 GPS Satellites in the sky, but if their positions are close together, then you can get a High Dilution of Precision (HDOP), and you won't get 3D GPS lock.

As for Gyro issue, have you gone into Mission Planner and performed accelerometer calibration in Initial Setup.  Not sure if this will help the Gyro, but maybe it failed to come from the factory with a calibration.

Try this link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TWjZLlATIE

YouTube
This reply was deleted.