IRIS+ Fail, Flew Away and Crash

Hello everyone:

Yesterday, what it seemed like a nice day to fly, it became the end to my IRIS+. I just started flying over a wheat field and suddenly the IRIS+ stopped responding telemetry commands, raised up itselft for about 50 meters, then flew away and went side until it crashed, like if a motor had stopped working.

The results: all the four legs got crashed, the chasis is all with scratches, the front red leds didn't turn on anymore and the GoPro Hero3+ housing scratches too. Fortunately the Gimbal was not installed.

I'm feeling pretty dissapointed now on the IRIS+ since I spent so much money on it. Today sent an email to Help department at 3DRobotics hoping for an explanation of what happened and looking forward for some kind of warranty.

Here is the video and the photo showing how the IRIS+ ended up so I wondering if you guys could notice something wrong on this attempt to fly.

Thanks!

Log files: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1nzuiixs0lba4ju/QUADROTOR.zip?dl=0

3691167456?profile=original

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Developer

Joe, it came from the factory calibrated and was test flown before shipping.  Please don't tell new users to recalibrate the system. It inevitably leads to them screwing up the vehicle and making things worse rather than fixing the problem. 

• NP.  I assumed it did.

However, 3DR has a series of Tutorial Videos on YouTube which might be informational to new users, and understanding each aspect of the Iris+ is better than "flying" blind.

• Developer

Needing 3D fix means it was waiting for a GPS lock. 

Bad gyro health mean's you are shaking or moving the vehicle while it is calibrating the gyros. 

Put the vehicle on the ground. Connect the battery. Wait for the LED to stop flashing red and blue before closing the battery door or moving the vehicle. Once you have GPS lock the LED will turn green.

• Thanks Craig. Order you mentioned worked and I was able to fly.

I noticed that even in LTR mode, drone was swaying an not staying at one location when all controls on controller were set in center.

Also How can I make sure that if battery is below min. threshold OR controller loses the connectivity to drone, that drone returns to RTL? 

Thanks

• Developer

If you are in the US or Europe where you have SBAS, the vehicle will hold about 1 m horizontally and about 20cm vertically with a good GPS fix.  If you are outside of an area with SBAS then it could be moving around several meters.   If you are close to buildings or under trees then again the GPS signal will be degraded.

• The manual says that if outside of 2m it will RTL. Take it to 20m and a few away, and hoover until  battery drain. See if it returns.

• Developer

@ Jim, That will work.

• I have already lost one Iris once. Where in Mission Planner I can see this settings to make sure these numbers are right?

Is there a simulation mode in MP I can use to test this with out risk of losing another Iris?

• Developer

You can read about setting and testing the failsafes in the wiki at ardupilot.com

• Did you find it?

This reply was deleted.