I wanted to share what I have been working for the past month to properly mount a camera to the IRIS+ (or original IRIS). I never liked the idea of flying a camera like the Canon S100 (or any camera) without some protection and vibration isolation. All take-offs and landings stir debris that can impact an open lens. And any type of crash or flip during landing has the potential to damage the camera.

When 3DR came with the mapping kit for the X8 I was hoping that they would sell the camera case and mount to everybody. That's not the case. And the price for the mapping kit is high and I don't need more telemetry radios and a Pixhawk. I'm referring to this kit.

The mount and case are very similar to the ones offered in the kit. The mount has an isolated top plate with a GoPro mount to latch the camera case. The bottom plate is screwed to the adapter plate that goes to the belly of the IRIS. The GoPro mount from the top plate goes through a hole in the bottom plate. The plates have 10 mm holes to add bigger rubber dampeners.  

3691181850?profile=original

The case is designed around the Canon S100, but similarly shaped cameras will fit. There are 5 mm in all directions to add a layer of foam. The white label in the front is where I'm going to add another hole. The red sharpie marks in the back are where I'm going to expand the holes for easier button pressing and screen viewing. You can also glue a filter for lens protection. There are clear filters and UV filters, for example. The diameter of the filter you see below is 58 mm.3691181909?profile=originalThe pictures below show how it fits on the IRIS+. There is a clearance of around 2 cm from the ground to the lens tube, so I'll most likely add legs that are 5 cm taller. There are 2 leg designs for the IRIS in Thingiverse where 8-mm carbon fiber rods can be added. Again, the white label you see is where I will add another hole to manipulate the shutter, the dial, and the power button.

3691181989?profile=originalThe complete set weighs 322 g (IRIS+ maximum payload is 400 g). The weight contribution of the camera is 193 g and the camera case and mount weigh 130 g. Well worth the weight for camera protection and vibration isolation. Weight will go slightly down with the next version I got printing (2 expanded holes and 1 new hole).

I will test the flight performance soon. We just got a big snow storm so I won't fly until next weekend. The design is very solid, and I'm expecting no major issues. I'm hoping that the weight distribution doesn't affect the flight performance.

I have another design for the back portion of the camera case with a longer GoPro mount, so the camera could easily be pointed forward if desired.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 3702148519?profile=original3702148811?profile=original3702148540?profile=original3702148836?profile=original3702148795?profile=original3702148851?profile=originalSince 3 weeks ago getting the Iris+ 2nd Hand on Ebay...i have been wondering how to install my Canon camera S100.

I have design my own casing and print it using my office printer...is ok but i dont like to overall feel and look.

I have try to download some of the casing that everyone share and is alright but i guess too much logistic and never get it right..maybe i am too careful..haha

Finally weight and protection is my main concern and consideration but because Iris+ batter is not going to be too lasting on a single flight...I have to relook into something really simple and easy to install.

I have use recycle foam to cut this model out...it works great finally and some ideas that i share.

I run the script to starts the camera after 2 mins..just about good time for making sure the camera is secure.

Total weight of the foam and some rubberbands...= 18gram

Attached is the images. 

• @mark chng Not very good. Be carefull there are holes below the iris and airflow is needed by 4in1 ESC. Don't utilise this, your 4in1 ESC or PDB could be fried due to heat !

• http://www.impconcepts.com/impstore/index.php?route=product/product...

Canon S100, S110, S120, SX260, G9X, ELPH 110IS, 130IS, 180, 320HS & 330HS Fixed Mapping 3DP Mount &…
      Canon S100, S110, S120, SX260, G9X, ELPH 110IS, 130IS, 180, 320HS & 330HS Fixed Mapping 3DP Mount & Adapter for 3DR Iris, Solo & X8
  • Excellent work!

I am wondering, does anyone know how difficult it would be to adapt this one for the X8? Would it be a task of changing the IRIS adapter plate to an X8 adapter plate? Or would everything need to fine-tuned to fit the new adapter plate then?

• I cant seem to find a working link or download for the original files. The "whole camera" holder works better for me as Ill be using it in a plane. Did anyone make a sx260 version of this? I want to adapt it to a 1 axis gimbal that I am working on.

This reply was deleted.