IRIS jst connector to power FPV and Gimbal

I was wondering if I could splice power off the jst connector on the IRIS's belly to power the 3DR FPV.
https://store.3drobotics.com/products/3dr-fpv-osd-kit (power both of them from the one factory connector)

Or should I splice into the main power using something like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261356759924?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks in advance!

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I have mine velcroed/ziptied to a rear arm to keep it away from the gps. I also ziptied/industrial velcroed the telemetry unit to the other black rear arm. Both are just a half inch from the propellers and pointing up. They seem to work just fine.  I might try them pointing down on another flight to see if there is a difference.  I have the OSD mounted where the telemetry unit was sheared off during one of the flights.  I have it so it in no way affects the pixhawk.  There is absolutely nothing touching the pixhawk or the anything close to the gps.

I cut a hole to mount the included camera but removed it to save weight and used the tarot gimbal gopro connector for fpv video. It also helps me better frame the shot so I know exactly what my video is going to look like.

• As far as the camera -- I've been going back and forth on using the included camera, or using the GoPro.  I think I'll try it both ways.  There may be times I want to fly FPV without the gimbal, GoPro and long legs.  

Thanks so much for the input!

John

• Interesting.  Thanks for the info.  I'd love to see a photo if you are able to upload.

I too, had an issue with the telemetry unit antenna getting loose.  It tipped sideways, and was batted by a prop.  The prop fell off in flight.  I found the prop and realized that the telemetry unit itself was loose.

This past weekend I did the suggested Pixhawk move, and decided to re-mount the telemetry unit using double-sided foam tape (to get the height correct) plus high-strength outdoor velcro to remount the telemetry unit in its original place.  Thinking about FPV -- your placements might make better sense.

John

• Here is how I have my telemetry antenna set up. I didn't like how it stuck out and was always getting caught on things which put pressure directly on the board. This way if anything smacks it hard its just a cheap antenna or top shell, not a telemetry unit. you can also just see the edge of the vtx in the corner of the second picture

20140827_134835.jpg

20140827_142052.jpg

• Oh, as for the vTX mount I have mine zip tied to the rear left arm with a bit of foam in between it and the arm. cloverleaf ends right next to the short landing leg.  

• I've seen a couple of photos of that arrangement.  It seems like a good candidate.  Did you feel the need to tweak any settings to deal with the slight change in Center of Gravity?

Thanks,

John

• I flew on the stock flight params with just the gopro on the front, and then with the gopro on the front and the vtx on the arm and while flying alright it did have a really sketchy tendency to pitch way forward before recovering itself and would fight you when you tried to bring it back. It will fly with stock settings but I would definitely recommend after you get everything put on running autotune. It is very easy and will make it a lot safer to fly

• Im not sure what all summed up the amperage from the vTX and gimbal would be, but as long as it's not massively over what that gauge cable is rated to (which would greatly surprise me if it was) I would go off of that cable sticking out the bottom. Either by splicing another jst into it or buying a jst y cable. Personally I would make the smallest y cable I could to save on weight, but at the same time keep it all easily removable and modular.

• It was definitely due to my carelessness. I ripped off the gimbal jst connector and twisted on new one to see if that was the issue. I didn't even tape them when I powered up. It was my fault.
    • So the gauge of the wire is the only thing that would have an issue? I don't want to fry anything on a chance.  Do you know it can handle powering a 200mw transmitter and the tarot t2d gimbal simultaneously?

This reply was deleted.