Iris+ Up In Smoke

Don't get me wrong. This isn't intended to be a slight against 3DR in any way. I've never had anything but pleasant dealings with them. It's just a very interesting occurrence with my Iris+ from earlier today.

After about 6 minutes of flying hard banks around my yard, I decided to land. Unfortunately, I ran out of altitude before I ran out of airspeed, and the resulting touchdown, in an uneven area, caused my Iris to flip onto it's back. Almost immediately after flipping, smoke began to pour from the shell, and before I could get to it, flames erupted from the underside, by the PDB. I pulled the battery and extinguished the fire, and then returned to my workbench. 

http://youtu.be/C54oiUWpoew

Upon opening the shell, I discovered a great deal of scorching around the PDB, and several wires were off their connectors. Not sure what came first, the broken wires or the fire, but it should be interesting to hear what 3DR says.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Developer
    It is pretty spectacular shot. Would you mind posting the video? And also if the battery did not catch fire what did? Probably the power distribution board.
  • Developer

Never seen that before.  Clearly the battery caught fire.

Great (accidental) camera work BTW

• Actually, at the end of the video, I was removing the battery, and it was fine. No indication at all of what it had just been through.

• My guess the power from the battery was diverted to some other part on the PCB. Maybe by one of the broken wires, with a battery like that does not take much to catch fire. If it touched something like a chip, that would fry it. Have fried many things before, but damn that went up fast.

Sorry for your loss.
This reply was deleted.