Iris+ with GoPro in Case

Hi all,

I've worked with a couple drones over the past year, both DJI based, one a Naza M-Lite build and the other a stock S800 Evo.  

I'm looking at purchasing an Iris+, but a lot of the filming I hope to do will be over or around water, and was wondering if anyone had found a solution for keeping the GoPro in a waterproof case while still using a gimbal.

Hopefully, it will never go in the water, but if it does, I'd like to mitigate the losses.

Interested to hear if anyone has suggestions.

Thanks,

Graham

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Graham,

It is possible to do but it will come at a cost, namely increasing the payload.

The slim GP housing itself weighs in at about 61g, a gimbal that can hold a GP with the housing will need to be somewhat larger and more powerful hence it will weigh more than say a Tarot or Feiyu-Tech. A lens filter that fits the GP housing on average weighs about 16g.

As you can see the numbers will be greater than that if a more traditional set-up so that will result in a decrease in flight time. 

You do have some other options though. Replacing the stock landing gear with something that floats ie small foam tubes. There have been quite a few operators that have gone this route with great success. The advantage is that only a small amount of extra weight is added in comparison to what I mentioned above.

The other option is that if you truly want the GP in it's housing, in a decent gimbal with a good flight time then you may need to look at a more powerful drone.

The IRIS+ can fly with the GP in it's housing attached to the nose mount and have a decent flight time but beyond that your easy of mind over water will be replaced with "how much time do I have to film?"

Todd H.

• Very good question: I think many would prefer to use the protection that comes with a Go-pro Camera. Even if you crash on land, the camera is what typically takes the brunt of the force.

• I'm very interested in this as well.  I hope you get some good replies.  The only gimbals, made for the GoPro specifically, that I have seen need to mount it w/out the waterproof housing. 

I had a servo driven tray type gimbal in the past that you could mount any sort of light camera, I used a Sony NEX 6, by way of a 1/4 20 screw.  That could work for a GoPro in its case as well, but I doubt the Iris would be able to lift anything like that. 

This reply was deleted.