Research using IRIS..not allowed!?

Hi there,

I have been doing some IRIS+ based measurements of atmospheric temperature profiles and

submitted a research proposal to the National Forest Service to fly above a site on NFS land.

Here is the response:

-------------------------------------------------------

Unless you're able to point us toward FAA regs that indicate your proposed use would fall into the model aircraft (hobby/recreation) category, or produce a FAA certificate for Civil UAS use we won't be able to move forward with this aspect of your request.

--------------------------------------------------------

I pointed out that this is not a commercial enterprise, we are not charging or making money, off of this and it is done during daylight,line of sight, and below 400" AGL

Anyone here that can help me ?

Thanks for reading this

Dan

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I just gotta ask.  I have heard of the National Park Service and the U.S. Forest Service but I have never heard of a National Forest Service.

• try

http://www.fs.fed.us

different from the florist service 

• The above link is to the US Forest Service which is exactly my point.   There is no such agency as "National Forest Service" and anyone submitting a proposal to said non-existent agency is not going to get any responce and in point of fact such a proposal will be tossed in the trash.  For the record there are four federal agencies in charge of US public land, 1. US Forest Service, 2. National Park Service, 3. US Fish and Wildlife Service, 4. Bureau of Land Managment .  If you're not even smart enough get the name of the agency correct then you have zero chance of getting any approval of any kind.

• ...and one more, the US Army Corp of Engineers has a small number of plubic lands. :)
    • http://sardrones.org/ 

• That is true but the US Army Corp of Engineers primarily has management control over major construction projects on public land such as but not limited to dams, reservoirs, etc.

• They might be interested in my project because it is called

"Palomar Rapid Deployment Site Survey" and by design is trying

to minimize environmental impact

• Indeed and if so, I may be in the air as we speak.

We are not near such a site so I am here at the keyboard.

• Yes, Understood.

USFS.....that's right, and who I applied to.  They did respond to my request.
      I might be able to do my measurements but without using the drone as it stands at the moment.

Most of the time we deal with NSF,sometime with NPS, so I just made a mistake with NFS  here on the group, yet did it right when I applied to the USFS.

my error

• Whoa.  We are just chatting amongst friends here.  He probably means the US Forest Service.  Just assume he got his mords wixed.

This reply was deleted.