Bad Compass Health

I'm having a problem with a Pixhawk that came with a 3DR DIY 4X kit. APM Planner is reporting "Bad Compass Health". The compass is an external uBlox GPS combo that came with the kit.

I've tried several solutions that include,

-running APM Planner with the quad outdoors with a clear view of the sky,

-repositioning the GPS/compass antenna further away from the frame
-swapping the 3DR provided GPS/compass combo with a Ublox M8N that I had laying around,
-installing ArduPlane on the Quadcopter, then reinstalling ArduCopter-quad, and
-inserting a new sdcard.

None of these have provided resolution.

I have two other quads with Pixhawks, (one is a genuine 3DR, the other is a BangGood knockoff) and I had not encountered this error with either. Here is a picture from MissionPlanner of the compass settings. Any suggestions as to what might be the issue here? Thanks in advance...3691332525?profile=original

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Ok. I assumed the arrow is pointing forward. But we need to be sure its set for forward arrow in the config/tuning settings as it can be set for alternate directions in the settings. I fought with similar issues with two new Pixhawk (which both turned out to be ok). Are you getting the dots showing in the progress diagram when performing compass calibration with either #1 or #2 compass selected?
  • Thanks for responding Martin. "Yes" to both questions: arrow is facing forwards, and light does flash blue. Both of the external compasses report "bad health" when plugged into this Pixhawk. I'm starting to think that this Pixhawk has a factory defect. It has never flown.

Martin Lachance said:

I'm reading two separate problems here. One, bad compass health from #1 external compass. Two, as you put it, "have yet to get good GPS". Does the "big" LED remain flashing blue? (Acquiring satellites). In config/tuning, is the setting for Pixhawk orientation set for arrow forward?
  • I'm reading two separate problems here. One, bad compass health from #1 external compass. Two, as you put it, "have yet to get good GPS". Does the "big" LED remain flashing blue? (Acquiring satellites). In config/tuning, is the setting for Pixhawk orientation set for arrow forward?
  • Okay, with 12c and GPS unplugged I can do a compass calibration. With just the GPS plugged in (and 12c cal unplugged) I can arm and spin the motors. However- I am not getting a GPS signal. I've tried this with my two uBlox units outside with an unobstructed view of the sky. When I plug 12c in I get bad compass health. I've yet to get a good GPS from either uBlox. Thoughts on this? As indicated earlier, I've got 2 other Pixhawks, neither gave me the problems that this one has. Thanks in advance...

• No dots? What happens if you uncheck #1 external compass and check #2 (internal) compass then run compass calibration?
  • Nope, no dots in the windows. I found that curious and possibly significant.

allan said:

you have no dots in the progress window?
    so your error is with the compass calabration?

• you have no dots in the progress window?
    so your error is with the compass calabration?

• good advice from @Martin Lachance best to use mavlink radio.
    i also use a 3 meter usb cable with good results.
    maybe keep ic2 cable away from other wires.
    unless you have 3rd compass you dont need it checked.
    best of luck

• I have to say.....although it should go without saying......put some distance between the "platform" and any metals, magnets and electronic devises.  I dont perform compass calibration indoors, anymore!!  And i live in upstate NY where its very cold this time of year.  I place the the bird outdoors, without flight battery, to aclimate to the ambient temps, then install the warm battery.   I perform the calibrations via MavLink radio, not USB to laptop, 56,700 baud.  Further distance between laptop (electronic device)  and GPS/Compass puck.  Use flight battery for power and props off.

• I the past, with MP screaming errors at me, I found resolve by ignoring the the audibles and continue with repeating both calibration for compass and accelerometers.  

This reply was deleted.